SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

104/2 B200 Donut replacements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJM75
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: 104/2 B200 Donut replacements Reply with quote

Hi folks

I have a set of 104/2's single wired with the b200 drivers with rubber surrounds, and foam inner dust caps (donuts)

I am going to replace the donuts myself and it seems audiofriends have a good reputation with supplying them, but the ones they stock and recommend have a smaller internal diameter (the hole in the centre where the pole goes)

My question is, are there any issues with the smaller inner diameter donut? is the larger centre hole variant more advisable (which is what is on the drivers just now)...only issue is they say the larger ones are not as flexable.

Im concerned about the foam rubbing on the pole, and wonder if the smaller diameter hole obstructs getting the nut off the pole on the top driver, must admit ive not fully stripped them yet so im going from memory on how the pole is removed.

Has anyone else had experience of this?
Philips cd723/Audio PC with MAudio Delta 410 over SPDIF > Modded DacMagic 1 > Custom Interconnects > Audiolab 8000s > Audioquest FLX SLIP 14/4 Speaker Cable > Kef 104/2 with KEF tweeter replacements + Gold Binding Posts.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was you i'll stick with the ones that are the same as the original ones, otherwise your bas response will be different!
CJM75
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thinking as well..but was a little concerned about the flexability of the original size donuts.

I emailed fred at audiofriends regarding this and got the following reply

"there are also very inflexible donuts on the market with an innerdiameter of 22mm. We have them also. Our special 3"KF has an innerdiamter of 16mm., fits perfect, very flexible with extra room for glueing on your RR104.2. If correct we also have a cheaper offer for 4 dustcaps.

Best regards, Fred Buist - Audiofriends"

The only difference, apart from flexability, between the 2 is the inner diameter is 16mm vs 22mm (original size). The hole in the centre where the nut is/pole will be smaller.

Im stuck between a rock and a hardplace on this one Smile
Philips cd723/Audio PC with MAudio Delta 410 over SPDIF > Modded DacMagic 1 > Custom Interconnects > Audiolab 8000s > Audioquest FLX SLIP 14/4 Speaker Cable > Kef 104/2 with KEF tweeter replacements + Gold Binding Posts.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kef calculate everything by their designs, especially the reference series.
So take the ones that comes closest to the original ones.
MartinW
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I used the audiofriends ones with the smaller inside diameter (you may have found the thread I started a while ago - http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1472).

For what it's worth, I didn't have any trouble with the slightly smaller inner diameter of the doughnuts/donuts. Though you'll need a fairly narrow socket set (obviously less than the inside diameter) to remove/replace the bolt into the force cancelling rod on the upper driver if it's going to pass easily through the hole.

I can't see why there would be any rubbing even if the inner edge of the 'overhanging' foam did touch the force cancelling rod as both are fixed.

Good luck!
CJM75
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ended up calling a company that i spoke to previously when i was considering getting the 4 drivers rewound and new cones etc.

Audioloudspeakers based in the uk have actually bought all the original tooling from the 104/2's when production ended, and seem to be the chaps to speak to for parts and servicing.

The chap i spoke to was really helpfull, and said they have 2 grades of donuts made from the original kef tooling, a lighter weight one more akin to the originals, or a slightly heavier variant, i have decided to go for the lighter one.

The other big plus point is that he refreshes his stock constantly, the ones he has just now are only a month or so old. He says he just had to throw out a batch.

Ive not recieved them yet but so far the service and support has been excellent, ill keep you all posted and put some pics up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: