SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auskef crossover layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
habrune
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Auskef crossover layout Reply with quote

One clear question: does anyone on this forum know the exact component values in the mid-branch for the B110A in the AusKEF 18dB crossover for B139/B110A/T27? I want to update my Webb with Cambridge R50 XO. No results so far.... Crying or Very sad
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but I have not heard of AusKEF and Google has not helped. In light of this, I'm not sure you will get much of a response to your question, unless you can provide more information.
habrune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speakerguru, thanks, I tried in another topic, see http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1622, but to no avail. I learned there that the Australian import manager had asked KEF in the '80ies for an 18dB XO for B139/B110A/T27 just like the existing XO for B139/B110B/T52 (Cantata). KEF designed one, and is since then called "AusKEF' update to the DN12 (from what I've heard).
On this forum I saw several responses from ColinR to earlier enquiries, but no pictures.
I have a picture, but this scheme sounds awful, so I humbly ask for a check.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I remember Colin being involved and references made to AusKEF...
But as SG says, there is nothing else out there to help is there.
Link: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Crossovers/Auskef/AusKEFIndex.html
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Auskef crossover layout Reply with quote

habrune wrote:
One clear question: does anyone on this forum know the exact component values in the mid-branch for the B110A in the AusKEF 18dB crossover for B139/B110A/T27? I want to update my Webb with Cambridge R50 XO. No results so far.... Crying or Very sad

I'm not sure what you are saying here, do you want to upgrade the original R50 crossover or do you want a copy of it? Confused
habrune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proffski, it is great to see so much helping and so quick. Thanks! No, I have all the plans (apology for my Dutch English), my question is only for the mid section of the AusKEF (Falcon 53) XO. For the picture in the link: A pity Colin had a shaky hand, otherwise I could have read some essential component values. Maybe its a deliberate 'copyright' shake, which we have to respect then.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is just camera shake dfue to slow shuttert speed. The original crossover certainly could do with updating! 🔈 🔉 🔊
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be worth looking at, scroll down a little.
Link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/193915-kef-crossover-help.html
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Falcon 53 Reply with quote

If my memory serves me well Colin told me that Malcolm Jones was responsible for its design and KEF may still have the patent. That perhaps explains why it has not appeared here. Perhaps an enquiry to Jerry Bloomfield at Falcon Acoustics might throw some light on the matter.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcon 53 Reply with quote

Good point, I have always found Falcon Acoustics very helpful.
Worth a try!
habrune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proffski and Terry, thanks again. Took a while to respond (work/ sign up to diyaudio). The diyaudio thread is indeed close to what I've tried, thanks for that one. I tried B139/B110B/T27 in CS7 crossover, and the usual aB section for the T27. Comes close, the B110A quack has gone, but still not entirely OK between B110B and T27, that is: not in the way I'm used to in dedicated KEF designed crossovers. I hoped to find that in the AusKEF.
Maybe I switch to B139 in TL, crossing over very low to CS1 constructor kit. I like that kit too, more so in the Klang&Ton 8-9 1991 satellite version. Also B110B/T27, very open and clear mid, especially when dismissed from work under 150 Hz.
The the last speaker I've build, sold last year: Elektor/KEF PL301 top + coles, B139 in PRO9TL plus CS7 bass section. See http://link.marktplaats.nl/m867881277. Duct exit is on the top.
Avatar is CS1A in open 1/8 labda pipe, made from 1 piece concrete (open on top). Goes very low too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: