SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 101s
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Kef 101s Reply with quote

Hi, anybody know anything about the Kef 101s, the small monitor, with the same drivers as the LS3/5a?

What are they worth?

Thx

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you again David
I seem to remember a pair sold on eBay UK for around 130 GBP a few months ago. The B110s are fetching around 80 GBP at the moment and T27s up to 50 GBP and so 130 GBP would be my bet. On a good day and for a good pair perhaps up to 150 GBP. The original KEF Codas would be about the same.
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry, The seller cancelled the auction but I did see a pair went for about $225 US from California.

I recently visited a fellow who was quite a collector. JR 149s, Proacs- small monitor, Spendor BC1s he spent only $40 Cdn. about 20 pounds I reckon, Citation 1 and II pre amp amp. Linn Sondek LP 12 with Valhalla power supply, and basik arm, among others. Tons of vintage radios and a mint RCA gramophone. And, I thought I had too much equipment!!!

I don't think I will ever find the LS3/5as at the proverbial garage sale.
The market is just ridiculous in Canada.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think too many people have garage sales covered and too many people know about LS3/5a. However the fun is in the looking.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A damned good little speaker. I sadly missed a pair at silly price when they went out of production, and have been kicking myself since! Do not expect to get the same levels as modern nearfield monitors, but as a piece of classic KEF history, and a superb pair of second speakers, wow!
I always found thes excellent on speech and sang vocals, not quite up to the standards of most LS£5a models. At the price who is complaining?
SteveB
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of 101s and think they are great for speech and female vocals in particular. Proffski is right - they cannot play as loud as more modern speakers (100db spl max) but they are loud enough. They are also a bit insensitive compared to modern speakers, 81db spl for 1watt.

I am currently using them as a rear pair in my AV set-up, which may seem like they are being under-used. However, this is only because they have been replaced by the bigger 103.2 as main speakers.

The 101s seem to go for £80 to £150 on eBay currently but there is always the costly postage to take into account, as they are very heavy. I was lucky and got mine for £50 but had to re-finish the the cabinets, as the laquer was badly scratched. Same with the 103.2s actually. There is a pair starting at £75 on eBay at the moment, including Kan stands but you will have to pay £25 postage on top.

The bass drive units are the B110B, SP1057, the higher power version of the B110, so not the same as in the LS3/5a (I think these are B110A, SP1003. The tweeters are the T27.

The crossover has KEF's electronic protection system built in (S-STOP). This is supposed to prevent damage from over driving, thermal overload and DC voltage, although mine have never been activated. All my speakers in the AV system are driven by Quad 405-2 amps.

Build quality is, as you would expect, exemplary being a member of the prestigious Reference series. Cabinets are substantially constructed with thick internal Dedshete-type damping and acoustic wadding. I believe these speakers cost several hundred pounds in their time.

I can't compare them to the LS3/5a, as I have never heard these. I could provide some images of the 101s (and 103.2) if interested.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you on the Forum SteveB. I would be delighted to have photographs of your speakers to publish on the site. Also any detailed information about the construction, drive units, crossover, best supports, etc etc.

Do you happen to know anything about 102s. The tweeters are T33 but I cannot find out what the mid/bass unit is. It looks like a B200 but I have had contrary evidence. Any information would be helpful.

Terry
SteveB
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,
OK, I'll put together some images and technical details of the 101s (and 103.2s) and send them to you.

Regarding 102s, there is a set on eBay at the moment, so I contacted the seller and asked him what the bass units were. I got the impression that a few people have asked him this but this is the best info he could give:

"It's not a B200 but a specially designed unit with a cast chassis and a bracing rod that is adjusted by the binding posts on the back of the speaker."

The T33 on the 102 also looks different to the T33s I've seen, perhaps it's a newer model.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve
I also asked the ebay seller about the bass units and so he will be wondering what is going on.
Terry
hopeforcash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just joined and wondered what is the current fair price of the 101s. As well, are they really similiar to the Ls3/5s? Thanks
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar yes, appart from a small family signature sound different.
hopeforcash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a small family signature sound difference?

From earlier in the thread, is the 101s harder to drive?

Thanks

Still in learning stage
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of what I remember the 101 seemed happier at higher levels, female vocals were not as distinctly projected as by the LS35a.
Low level detail was definately better on the LS35a.

Overall to my ears the 101 sounded flatter, but all that depends as to which LS35a it was up against and personal preferences.
I'd love to hear the 101s again on my terms this time...

Drive is not an equation here as we were using a massive Phase Linear amplifier then.
Perhaps our resident KEF experts may give you a more concise answer.
hopeforcash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your information, Proffski. Very much appreciated Very Happy

I have the Tangent RS6, I have come across Gary on other forums if he can comment and have just returned a 11ohm Rogers LS3/5 I borrowed from a friend for a week. Just wondering the differences in sound.

I found the RS6 have a "muddier?" bass and overall not as defined sound as the LS3/5 on the vocal side. Any improvements or more importantly simple improvements can be made to the RS6. I have not opened up any speaker before Confused

Thanks again
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the "distruction" manuals KEF gave an upper limit on the amplifier size, in case you blew up the protection circuit. Strangely this figure would give you a "best fit" size of amplifier which would clip after the protection circuit had switched in.
So Ref 101 100 Watts rms per channel.
Ref 103-2 150 Watts rms per channel.
Ref 105-2 200 Watts rms per channel
Ref 105's 250 Watts per channel however they were best driven by a pair of Amcron DC-300A's - 150 Watt for bass, 150 Watt for mid/treble.

The Ref 101 is a very inefficient (81dB/1W/1m) analytical speaker for use in domestic settings. 90Hz-30kHz +/-2dB, -10dB 47Hz & 40kHz.

The LS3/5a is a speaker with an exaggerated bass response for use across an audio/video mixing desk in a lorry, caravan or shed.

LS3/5a frequency response is public domain - so do a google.

I have a poor copy of the Ref 101 frequency response, which for copyright reasons cannot.

Interested parties can email me over the next couple of days for a copy, providing they state in their email "for private use not to be transmitted etc".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: