SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B200 SP1070 to replace B200 SP1076?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I spoke with a couple speaker repair places. One guy has a different B200 at his shop. If it has the same size cone as mine he will use it. if not he will repair my damaged one...pretty affordable too. Hope it all works out.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that repair is the only way because the woofers in the 105.4 are specially made for that model, there is no other woofer for it. When their finished you can enjoy.
By the way, witch amplifier do you use ?
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think they will end up repairing the one I send. I trust them. When I spoke to the tech I could tell he knew what he was doing and the fact they had KEF parts in the shop was a good sign that they have worked with these before. As for my amp, I run these speakers with an NAD 7600. Good powerful device with a warm sound
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, plenty juice! Is indeed a nice amp. Very Happy
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...here's the update. It could not have gone better. I found a speaker repair shop in New York that had the same speaker with other damage but a perfect cone. I shipped them mine, they took the good cone off their speaker and put it on mine. The end result is a perfectly functioning B200! I just got it back and put it in. Amazing how much the sound was suffering before with the torn cone. Now, I'm going to take the advice of sealing the enclosure to optimize these speakers, which are now my best ones. Better than my Dahlquist DQ-10's, better than my PSB Centuries....my NHT's...
Final thought: Even though these speakers are from the early 1980's it seems the caps are all working just fine. It is hard to imagine that these would benefit from a recap, though I would certainly do it if I knew it was needed.
Did I mention that I found these speakers in the trash? Complete with front grills and Hats? Smile
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unbelievable that someone put them by the trash, likely somebody who has nothing with music and also is very dum. They are still wanted speakers and this is for a reason. I already told on several forums that this old set of speakers are mutch more relaxed and more beautiful than the almost new and expensive Kef XQ40 witch i had. Also the tweeter, the T33 is just a fine one, better than the T27 or T52 in the 105.2. It's a soft dome and that is what you hear. The absolute sound tested the 105.4 and did mention that the 105.4 has a better alround performance than the 105.2.
Congrads with your speakers. Very Happy

Last edited by willem-57 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willem-57 wrote:
The absolute sound tested the 105.4 and did mention that the 105.4 has a better alround performance than the 105.2.

Hee Hee, the exact opposite of what Hi Fi Choice said in an ~80 speaker review where the 105.2 came out on top of all Very Happy
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TAS #26 (June 1982), HP reviewed the KEF 105.4 and said, "I found the R 105.4 to be a fine loudspeaker, and to be a far better one than my former R 105.2s. It has excellent imaging, it produces a fine soundstage, and its overall integration is very good. Unlike the 105.2, there is no annoying touch of bass overhang, and the treble is much more musical. There is no hint that the woofer is following one path and the other drivers another.

Maybe they are both great speakers?
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is no hint that the woofer is following one path and the other drivers another.
I've never heard the 105.2's, but I will say that, based on listening to my 105.4's, and mean as in right this minute, the above is an accurate statement.
martin
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love me some 105's but could never decide between the .2 or .4

My 103.2's are probably my favourite speaker at the moment. I love how the sound and I absolutely love how they image but I got to the point where I wish they had more bottom end.
Highs and mids sound so realistic but on some music I'd love to hear the whole picture in the bottom end.

On paper the 105.4 doesn't go much lower than the 103.2 where's the 105.2 has the bottom end and that's where I start scratching my head lol
I think the T33 on the 103.2 sounds great
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no objective information about quality of sound reproduction. Manufacturers, reviewers and users are all somehow biased. How to read measurements is also controversial.

HP had very strict policy about how closely reviewers were allowed to work with manufacturers or distributors. This led to Steven Stone affair and discussion about why Ken Kessler was allowed to do some publicity work for some local hifi dealer.

It is no shame to be subjective, it is very difficult even to try to be objective. If you like something, this should be perfectly OK.

Best Regards

Kimmo
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that HP passed away few weeks ago 4.11.2014.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/hp-wall-of-remembrance/

RIP Harry.

Kimmo
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Willem, or anyone else that has an idea! Another update on these speakers... It is now clear that one is a bit louder than the other, perhaps even has a fuller sound. Yes, I've tried switching them. Yes, they are in phase. yes, the amp is good. Before I go ahead and start thinking "recap," is there any other thing I should look at? I found a nice long thread on audio karma, started by a woman named Heather, which you, Willem, were on also. She spoke in detail about changing the caps after getting them from Falcon...but she said nothing about a volume change. She spoke mainly about the mids and highs being more pronounced. I'm wondering what the other things on the crossover board are. I mean, what is in charge of volume?
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could swap over crossovers to make sure the problem lies there,
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea! As long as the wires are not soldered to the board. I'll have to open one up and look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: