SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to remove S-Stop protection circuit Kef 105.4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burgerking
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: How to remove S-Stop protection circuit Kef 105.4 Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to remove my S-Stop protection circuit of my Kef 105.4. I tried yesterday but wasnīt sure which connectors on the corssover board that go to the mids and tweeters I have to connect directly to the theeters and mids to bypass the circuit.

There are 6 connectors on the main board with color markings: Green (Gn), Black (Bk), Blue (Bl), Yellow (Y), White (W) and Red (R)

How to connect my tweeter and mid directly to these connectors so I have the S-Stop protection circuit bypassed?
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing in-circuit, between the input connections and the crossover is the relay. If you solder a link across the relay contacts, the relay will be bypassed (and your drive units will be unprotected).
Burgerking
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, itīs that simple

Iīm asking because I donīt have midrange. Thought to bypass it and see if I get it back again.

Midranges itself are fine when direct connected to my amp (carefully!) but ones connected at the crossover they are dead quiet. Tweeters en woofers work fine. Tried a couple of thins without success.

And the samll circuit in the head of the speaker, what does it do? Possible to bypass?
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the protection cuts in, the relay goes open circuit and then the signal has to go through the large resistor which is across the relay contacts, before reaching the crossover. The resulting attenuation affects all the drive units. There is no way it could just affect the midrange.

Your midrange fault is most likely due to a low value or open circuit capacitor in the mid crossover filter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: