SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B200 SP1070 to replace B200 SP1076?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
Hey Willem, or anyone else that has an idea! Another update on these speakers... It is now clear that one is a bit louder than the other, perhaps even has a fuller sound. Yes, I've tried switching them. Yes, they are in phase. yes, the amp is good. Before I go ahead and start thinking "recap," is there any other thing I should look at? I found a nice long thread on audio karma, started by a woman named Heather, which you, Willem, were on also. She spoke in detail about changing the caps after getting them from Falcon...but she said nothing about a volume change. She spoke mainly about the mids and highs being more pronounced. I'm wondering what the other things on the crossover board are. I mean, what is in charge of volume?

You mean this tread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=576854
Jay
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is the one. Anyways, I think I'm open these speakers up and take a look at the crossovers. I assume they are on the bottom of the cabinet under the from,yes?
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are under the foam. Remember that the 2 woofers work together in series. So the red wire from the crossover goes to the + of woofer 1, a purple one goes from the - of woofer 1 to the + of woofer 2, the black cable from the - off woofer 2 to the crossoverboard.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to get a look at them today. Your crossover looks original. No new caps?
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i got new caps in reserve, but i like the sound more with the riginal ones. It's more relaxed sounding with the old elcaps.

Old original elcaps

New alcaps
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Hi, it's been months since I visited here, but here is the update about this issue: "Hey Willem, or anyone else that has an idea! Another update on these speakers... It is now clear that one is a bit louder than the other, perhaps even has a fuller sound. Yes, I've tried switching them. Yes, they are in phase. yes, the amp is good. Before I go ahead and start thinking "recap," is there any other thing I should look at? I found a nice long thread on audio karma, started by a woman named Heather, which you, Willem, were on also. She spoke in detail about changing the caps after getting them from Falcon...but she said nothing about a volume change. She spoke mainly about the mids and highs being more pronounced. I'm wondering what the other things on the crossover board are. I mean, what is in charge of volume?"
Guess what? I opened both of the tweeter/midrange cabinets and discovered that one had NO foam inside. I went out and bought some and put it in as closely as possible to the other one and guess what? The balance problem went away. Still going to recap them though.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show, you have to eliminate all other possibilities before changing the crossover, and how difficult it is to diagnose problems at a distance with just a description. The extra loudness must now have been some extra colouration from a more lively cabinet. So much for those tweakers who recommend taking all the wadding out of enclosures to "improve" Rolling Eyes the sound Smile
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
... The extra loudness must now have been some extra colouration from a more lively cabinet. So much for those tweakers who recommend taking all the wadding out of enclosures to "improve" Rolling Eyes the sound Smile

I'm all for putting in more. Bitumen sheets across all internal panels, acoustic foam all around and floating sheep's wool or equivalent in the cavity of a sealed enclosure. Takes the back fire of the woofer, reduces the wave strength against the panels and the feedback back through the woofer and into the room (with added coloration and a phase delay).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: