SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Concerto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rait
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Modern Concerto Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a modern, tall, narrow cabinet design to house the old concerto drive units?
I have recently acquired a pair of some of the last produced Concertos in v.good cond. but am very disappointed in their sound compared to what i've become used to in recent years. They image poorly & have a veiled, dull sound which i feel could be improved upon given advancements in cabinet & crossover design knowledge.
It seems to me, that the drive units can do better given the performance of the B110 & T27 in the LS3/5a, & the B139's dimensions would seem to be ideally suited to the modern concept tall, narrow cabinet.

The Kef Cantata was obviously an advancement, but surely we can do better nowadays.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have a look at this page. It is written in German but it may be of some use. I am nearly sure that Dave Dlugos will have something on his site.
Terry
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another thought. You could make a LS3/5a style box with a separate tall thin subwoofer with the B139. I am sure that there are designs for both. See LS3/5a site and again Dave Dlugos site will give some ideas for sub. You might be able to end up with something like the Richard Allan system.
Terry
boyzo
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terry wrote:
Just had another thought. You could make a LS3/5a style box with a separate tall thin subwoofer with the B139. I am sure that there are designs for both. See LS3/5a site and again Dave Dlugos site will give some ideas for sub. You might be able to end up with something like the Richard Allan system.
Terry

This Idea I think is the best for the old Concerto ie 2 LS35/a units electronicaly crossed over at 100, 150, or 200Hz to B139 Sub-woofers
so 2 stereo amps will be needed.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KEF C80
Where would it fit in the category? Is it a grown up Concerto?
The units mid range transducer was 160mm, the tweeter was not the T33A nor the T52B.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon Acoustics still have some cabinets left.
One is time aligned for the B139 and other units.
Quoted as a hybrid design, looks most interesting.
Has anybody had any experience with these at all?
The other cabinet may have been made for the B200.

http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/NightingalCabinets.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: