SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105/3 damping material

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagedorn
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: 105/3 damping material Reply with quote

When renovating my 105/3's i found a lot of damping material inside both the closed Bass cavaties.

Besides the "wall" matts of heavy glued foam to the cabinet, there was also a layered matte of white cotton like filling in both..

The question is wether this is original or added later?

The speakers have been repaired before by the privious owner..

Best regards
Thomas
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember KEF ever using BAF wadding ("white cotton like filling") in bass cabinets. They used pre-cut blocks of acoustic foam for ease of fitting in production.

BAF wadding was used, in production, inside the steel MF compartments of some models.
Hagedorn
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I found this for a 104/2 and it looks similar

MartinW
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's my 104/2 Smile
I don't think mine had been touched before I bought them, so would suspect the wadding is original.
Regards,
Martin
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinW wrote:
Hey, that's my 104/2 Smile
I don't think mine had been touched before I bought them, so would suspect the wadding is original.
Regards,
Martin

Fair enough; my memory is far from perfect. However mixing foam and wadding in one model, viz 105|3? I don't think so.

I did all the initial experimental work on the coupled cavity for the Fincham AES paper, which describes the effect of constraining BAF wadding, so, I'm pretty sure I would have been involved in any decision to use mixed linings.
MartinW
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guru,
Maybe my 1994 vintage 104/2s weren't as untouched as I thought then, as there is a mix of foam and wadding e.g. in the lower enclosure it's foam around the sides and the wadding at the bottom as you can see in the pic.
I think that the chap I bought them from had them from new - he didn't seem the 'tweaker' type and nothing was mentioned when I was asking him about their condition and history. It's possible that something wasn't mentioned of course...
Regards,
Martin
Hagedorn
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Would wadding in this way make sense Reply with quote

Thanks guys. i have been thinking about the use of wadding material in the top enclosure does seem like a bad idea as there is nothing in the way for it to fall into the membrane over time.. gravity alone can do this
Confused
steve59
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: first post Reply with quote

I can say with some confidence the white wadding is inside the top sealed and bottom sealed enclosure while the shared ported area has only the acoustic foam attached to the cabinet walls.
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BAF wadding in the sealed section if standard. In the 104/2's the cavity is lined with a thick foam on the side walls and in some models (?) the force cancelling rods are surrounded by discs between the units.

The 105/3's are the same except, the force cancelling rod is bare.

Also, for some reason, the foam is different on the 105/3.. It's a much harder outer layer and definitely denser in construction.

Rgds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: