SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi from new member with Reference 105/3's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jez
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Hi from new member with Reference 105/3's Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just knew there would have to be a KEF site somewhere!,found out about it from a reply on diyaudio.com where I have been trying to get a circuit diagram for the Kube 200 for my speakers (they do not seem to pop up secondhand very often also i could make a much better one if I can get the diagram!) If anyone here can help......
Anyway, how do you people rate this Kef model?. A KEF engineer I spoke to on the phone said that in his opinion they were the best speaker kef ever built!....don't know about that...maybe. I have heard them sound absolutely gobsmacking! (best sound so far with passive pre and "gainclone" type power amp) but also they can sound very average at times (with MF A370 power and MVT pre). Not to sure about the bass end of these beasts, it does not seem all that extended for such large speakers (hence Kube!) but I would think that could be a trade off for the high sensitivity...also although I would never describe the bass as boomy it never seems to give a sense of "vice like grip" either, is that a trait of this model or do I need to do some more experimenting with positioning etc? any opinions welcome!
Jez.
clem_o
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I agree with your assessment of the bass; certainly you can get more slam out of smaller units (though I think its questionable if this 'slam' is what its supposed to be like at all!). I think the bass response of the 105/3 is what you may call as 'honest' - it doesn't add or colour what the bass is supposed to have sounded like.

I particularly like the midrange sensitivity of the 105/3, its apparent ability to let you hear nuances that totally disappear on lesser loudspeakers. It's also a loudspeaker that will let you know pretty quickly how good or bad your electronics are...

Cheers!
gtaphile
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a pair of 105/3's for many years and a few years back I upgraded my amp to a Bryston 6BSST and removed the kube. The performance was instantly transformed, from top to bottom, open with a great soundstage, awesome vocals and the bass was tight but it was still average at best. The kube clearly veiled the music which could hardly be heard with my older amp.

I think that you have to live with the bass and enjoy everything else.
clem_o
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtaphile,

Go bi-amp, and use the Kube to drive the LF.

Or, if you're into electronics, replace the NE5532s inside the Kube with something 'nicer'. I have a Kube 100, and replacing the 5532s with OPA2134s did the trick. Its much more transparent now.

BTW, you will have to change one resistor for each voltage regulator to bring the internal supply voltage down, as the Kube's +-20V is a bit too much for most op-amps...

Cheers!
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jez,

I think I have a schematic. I'll try to remember to look tonight.

Alternatively, when you say "i could make a much better one if I can get the diagram!" do you mean you just want to know what the transfer function of the eq is, so that you can choose your own filter topology? Are you going to design your own input stage, output driver and switch facilities too?
Jez
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just intending to make my own copy of the KEF original but using better PSU, op-amps, more direct switching etc. I do not know if I will bother with it now though because every single bit of feedback on the subject has stated that the speaker sounds better without it! It would be nice to have the circuit diagram so that I can build one if I so choose at a later date.
If a diagram of the crossover and internal wiring is available then that could be usefull. The previous owner has rewired the speakers with different wire and rebuilt the crossovers HF and mid section with polyprops etc and I would like to be able to check that the work has been carried out correctly.
Regards,
Jez.
gtaphile
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: KEF 105/3 Reply with quote

I now have four destroyed B200 drivers. Does anyone know the parameters/specs of the B200 SP1256?

I need to replace them and would prefer to upgrade them with a better performer while preserving the overall performance of the speaker.

I have not had much luck as of yet.
steve59
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 years later and solid state has cleaned up a bit. i'm getting bass out of my 105/3's that are deeper, faster, and all around better than my 107/2's I was so surprised I opened up all the cabinets to make sure nothing is amiss. first bi-amp and leave the kube 200 out of the signal going to the uniq, then use the equalised variable output to the amp driving the bass drivers, now just use the gain on the kube to dial in your bass if you have at least 300 watts going into 4ohms the drivers should be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: