SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Speakers with Slam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarrenHW
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: KEF Speakers with Slam? Reply with quote

Having acquired and recapped a pair of KIT3's a few weeks ago I love how they sound compared to my Ditton 44's. They're more detailed, natural and integrate better in my room. There is however one facet I'm not happy with, SLAM!

The KIT 3's are in very poor (and for my application inconvenient) DIY cabinets so I've been looking into alternative cabinet / xo designs but one thing that keeps recurring is the opinion that the B139 will go low but won't slam.

I'm new to the world of HiFi so have had very little exposure, the only other KEF speakers I've heard are 105.2's which I loved in all but one aspect, you've guessed it, slam.

What's the consensus on here can KEF speakers slam or are accuracy / neutrality and slam mutually exclusive?

(Apologies if I'm using these "audiophile" terms out of context, hopefully you know what I mean?)
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF Speakers with Slam? Reply with quote

Consider trying a sealed enclosure for better transient response.
Link: http://www.eminence.com/2011/06/sealed-vs-ported-enclosures/
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been impressed with the performance of the R105 in the deep bass. In fact they have been the first pair of loudspeakers I owned and listened to that offered a full extension to the low end of the spectrum.

But I was amazed with the performance of a dual woofer bandpass enclosure built out of 2 pairs of B200 SP1014 dimensioned after the R107. I not only listen to the low frequencies but I can feel the slam (as you call it) in my chest and on the couch I am sitting on.

The design generates a "nasty" peak at about 150~180Hz which is taken care of with a notch filter in the R107 crossover, or you can equalize them actively. The design is very efficient and the complete R107 system with passive crossover sounds loud and non-compressed even with a "smallish" 2x70W power amp (Techncs SE-9060).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: