SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wharfedale Super 12 RS DD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Wharfedale Super 12 RS DD Reply with quote

I bought pair of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5WPvY8Qn2Y

Does anyone have good information or personal experience for these models.

Best Regards

Kimmo
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wharfedale Super 12 RS DD Reply with quote

I found a brief description in "Hi-Fi Yearbook 1963"!
As it appears in the book... I have not corrected any grammar or typos!

RS/12/DD

12 in. Paper cone. Roll surround.
Voice coil 1¾ in. (aluminium). v.c.i. 15 ohms.
Gap flux 14,000 gauss. Total flux 156,000 maxwells.
H.C. 15 watts. 30 watts peak.
F.R. 25 c/s - 17Kc/s.

Price £11 10s

Plenty of material on the drive unit in the links below.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Wharfedale+RS%2F12%2FDD

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Wharfedale+RS/12/DD&biw=1829&bih=868&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=D2YmVaOyPIPwavOegKAK&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&dpr=1.05
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super 12´s arrived some time ago... but both units did have severe interference between VC and magnet assembly. Good thing is that magnet assembly was attached to basket with 4 bolts. Magnet unbolted in few minutes and cause of rubbing coil seems to be dirt in the gap.

I have now hoovered gap few times and used masking tape to remove debris. However it seems that there is dirt behind top plate of magnet assembly. When gap seems fine... final hoovering seem to lift some more dirt behind top plate. So my actual question is when to stop... does dirt move in the gap from behind the top plate. Is compressed air good idea to clean gap thoroughly?

Other question is due to the slight rubbing damage to aluminium coil wire. DCR of coil is within spec. It seems that coating of wire has been rubbed off on one or two tiny spots. Does this present any further damage in long run... or should I try to patch paint them with nail polish or something better to prevent oxidation of aluminium coil wire?

Best Regards

Kimmo
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were mine I certainly would with extreme care try patching with nail varnish clear lacquer or similar. Fingers crossed and good luck!
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso wrote:
... final hoovering seem to lift some more dirt behind top plate. So my actual question is when to stop... does dirt move in the gap from behind the top plate. Is compressed air good idea to clean gap thoroughly?
Just keep at it with the masking tape. Compressed air only works well if you de-magnetise first, blow from within the gap while sucking outside the gap. Then re-magnetise. Not much use if you don't have access to a magnetiser/de-magnetiser.
iso wrote:
Does this present any further damage in long run... or should I try to patch paint them with nail polish or something better to prevent oxidation of aluminium coil wire?
Use a thinned down high temperature epoxy if you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: