SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF based monitors vs. Yamaha - who's better?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just sold the calindas a month ago. very sad moment for me, but we simply don't have the space to store them.

they went to a good home though - an avid KEF fan. he has a pair of 1/4/2 and always wanted to try some vintage T27 based KEFs without having to blow the cash for LS3/5A. HE LOVES THEM!

see ya,
Robby
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamis came out best in early Hi FI Choice when 50 or 60 speakers were tested and it was written by Angus McKensie - a reviewer who really knew what he was taking about and had real golden ears. But the next issue had Kef105s and they then beat the Yamahas overall.

Incidentally I recently compared BC1s with a friend and we both agreed his early alnico ones were not as good as a later higher power handling 55W pair with the last official Spendor port mod (tube and thick foam) which had a more solid image and better bass and depth presentation when loud.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a little bout of insomnia, so i was researching ns-1000m articles and came upon this old thread.

Still enjoy the ns-1000m.daily! Since my last post here, I ditched my tube preamps and bought a used classe audio dr4. It mates beautifully with my longstanding McIntosh mc60 tube mono blocks and the yammies.

The ns1000m pretty much marked the end of my incessant gear flipping and scouring audio message boards searching for the next best thing. I just listen and enjoy. It's quite freeing.

I definitely don't have the best system in the world or anything, but I haven't been left "wanting" for quite some time.

Well, I wouldn't mind trying a different preamp one of these days.... Just out if curiousity Smile

See ya
Robby
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing vintage speakers is difficult as as all drive units do not age too well and they may detoriate very different ways. Crossovers can be made to perform as well as new... if enough data is available. Materials in drive units are often very difficult to replace with "as new material". Luckily sometimes miracles like repair kits for 34mm Audax tweeter or Falcon T27 and B110 do surface.

I got good reminder for this when checking results of my Armstrog 621 rebuild here http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=8432

I used my Cantatas for week or so to verify results of rebuild. Armstrong seemed to be nice but nothing special. When I replaced 40 year old Cantatas with fresh kit built ATC 100´s. It was like night and day. This nice 40 year old budged minded 2 x 40 watt Armstrong amplifier had slam and open sound stage when connected to ATC`s. No harshness or dullnes for aged T52´s. I like Cantatas very much... they are truly nice but they are also 40 years old.

Best Regards

Kimmo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: