SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Corelli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr quackers
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: KEF Corelli Reply with quote

In addition to the 101's mentioned in a previous post, I also own a pair of Corelli's.
Now, I always like to keep a spare for each drive unit in the speakers I own (I know it's not possible with the 101's as KEF instructions state that speakers have to be returned to KEF for 'service routine' if unit(s) fail - presumably for computer matching since these were original matched pairs at factory to very close tolerances in the drive units).
Anyway, I have spare T27 for Corelli but do I need B200 SP1063 or SP1063A? - what is difference, please?
Many thanks for any guidance.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: KEF Corelli Reply with quote

Try Here:

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/kef_units/A%20History%20of%20Kef%20Drive%20Units%20issue%203.pdf

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/b200.html

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/DriveUnits/AnatomyDriveUnits.html

http://petoindominique.fr/php/mysql_thiele_seul_ref.php?ref=B200%20SP1063A
mr quackers
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Proffski for this information - I have studied the detail - it does not distinguish between 'A' version - what is 'A' version? - I have asked KEF they are perplexed but they are makers!!!
I have seen videos from KEF advertising there new speakers including LS50 - the drive units look very different from B200/B110/T27 and b139 bass- has technology advanced space age to next century? - if so, where is new generation b139? - certainly man advertising them in video is jumping up and down due to sound quality of new speaker - does new KEF speakers sound new age? - if so we are wasting our time talking about old speakers - maybe we should crush them - although my old 101's and Corelli's sound good to my ears has KEF advanced to next century in sound quality - if so, why do people still listen to old KEF speakers? - no money perhaps? -or are KEF new age speakers made in China and sound crap p- I saw green coloured KEF Blade speakers on EBAY for £22,000! - why so much money and not even transmission line! - are we being fooled by KEF China?- or are we all old and deaf on this website?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr quackers wrote:
... it does not distinguish between 'A' version - what is 'A' version? ...

My recollection is that the B200A was the SP1063 when sold to the public as part of the "Constructor Series". Marketing thought that the public could not cope with SP numbers.

I don't recall a SP1063A at all. The first B200 (SP1014) was never sold separately afaik.

...and for completeness, SP1014 and SP1063 were identical except for the VC former. SP1014 was nomex, SP1063 was aluminium with a nomex tube thermal barrier, resulting in a slightly lower Qm due to induced currents in the former.
mr quackers
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Pair-of-KEF-B200-SP1063A-Bass-Driver-matched-and-tested-/00/s/NDMyWDYyNw==/z/WmwAAMXQrNtR1HyW/$(KGrHqJHJEUFGrjHTgftBR1HyV8QyQ~~60_12.JPG

Here is picture of B200 sp1063A - sticker on speaker chassis.
Thank you for your advise.
mr quackers
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-KEF-B200-SP1063A-Bass-Driver-matched-and-tested-/161059234020?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item257fe0e0e4

Here is picture with sticker SP1063A
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I still can't recall the "A" being an official KEF designation for any reason. I don't remember there ever being any SP1063 variants.

Maybe a previous owner wanted to keep track of left and right?
mr quackers
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for reply - I have seen other examples for sale with the same sticker on the chassis -SP1063A and others which simply say SP1063.
There must be reason for this - I would like to buy book -history of KEF - I was told it lists every drive unit made by them - maybe this is solution to mystery.
Once again, many thanks.
(I should look in my own speakers as well!!)
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr quackers wrote:
... I would like to buy book -history of KEF - I was told it lists every drive unit made by them - maybe this is solution to mystery...

No. I have the book and it only lists drive units that were sold to OEMs or the public.
unknownspeaker
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too have seen a few 1063 drivers with the A on them ,not sure of its accuracy but this link states the 1063 'A' was 16ohm ?? , http://petoindominique.fr/php/mysql_thiele_seul_ref.php?ref=B200%20SP1063A ,
might be of use , worth measuring your 1063's to see .

Wink
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KEF drawing office did not ever work that way. A drive unit with a different voice coil resistance would have been issued with a new SP number.
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
My recollection is that the B200A was the SP1063 when sold to the public as part of the "Constructor Series". Marketing thought that the public could not cope with SP numbers.

I don't recall a SP1063A at all. The first B200 (SP1014) was never sold separately afaik.....

Hi

Actually, it was the SP1014 that was marketed as the B200A and was sold separately as part of the original KEFKit 1.

When the later CS range was made available, only the SP1075 version of the B200 was featured in the designs (CS3 and CS5)...which I always thought was strange.

You were right about the suffix's - people found it easier to talk about a B200A, or B200G instead of the (confusing to an outsider) SP codes.

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
The KEF drawing office did not ever work that way. A drive unit with a different voice coil resistance would have been issued with a new SP number.

Quite true....John Weller and Dennis White ran a tight ship !!

Many a time I had to go to the drawing office to get blueprints from the drawers to photocopy or scribble notes down, so I could get to the nub of a question posed by an end-user or dealer.

The SP codes were introduced to denote:
SP1xxx - drive units
SP2xxx - cross-overs, and some electronics (KUBE's, power supplies)
SP3xxx - finished assemblies, mainly completed loudspeakers

SA - was used for some sub-assemblies, such as grilles,

Later on, the R prefix was used (instead of the relevant SP prefix) to denote "pair-matched" drive units or cross-overs, where used for servicing Reference Series loudspeakers.

And John and Dennis were very "picky" about assigning the right SP code for certain items - there was a book, with code numbers hand-written in it, which described each item - codes were first written in pencil, until such time at the code was "confirmed" as which point it was overwritten in ink !!

Production changes (which had to be signed off by the relevant department heads) were also carefully noted and where relevant, new SP codes were issued, so that everything could be tracked back.

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: