SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Correction to split/moved thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Correction to split/moved thread Reply with quote

exkefman wrote:

The NT25s were also a bit more reliable, as initially some NT19's just "fell apart" as there was very little surface area for the glues (that held it together) to actually bond so well...but they got it right after a little while...remember this was all "cutting edge and new technology" at the time...and KEF was at the phase when it was just starting to use cyanoacrylate glues.

This is incorrect. KEF were using ca adhesives to stick rubber surrounds to chassis and voice coils to bextrene cones when I joined in 1975. NT tweeters were mid 80s.

The reason NT19s and NT25s "fell apart" was that Prod. dept. has not set up any humidity booths for the new production lines. CA adhesives do not cure if the humidity is too low. The poor operators were tearing their hair out producing failures when they knew full well what should have been done to fix the problem. I was sent to toubleshoot as I had designed both tweeters.
Wiesiek Lipowski
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are humidity packets inside the cabinets a good idea? I've got a DIY pair of Q55.2 and would like to save the tweeters.
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiesiek Lipowski wrote:
Are humidity packets inside the cabinets a good idea? I've got a DIY pair of Q55.2 and would like to save the tweeters.

Hi

There's no need, as we're talking about a production process and allowing the CA glues to "cure" on the very early Uni-Q tweeters.

I very much doubt that some silica gel bags will make any difference to later HF units long term usage or reliability

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiesiek Lipowski wrote:

No. Water vapour is required for ca adhesives to cure in a reasonable time, after that they are stable. If humidity is low then the time to cure increases greatly and this is a problem for production with a limited number of assembly jigs and space to store units while they "set". Once cured, you don't need high humidity to maintain the bond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: