SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vifa Vivace 87
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Vifa Vivace 87 Reply with quote

While i was searching the net i came across a set of Vifa vivace 87 self build speakers. They where so cheap that i thought, why not buy and refurbish them because these kind of speakers i can easily sell again. They are from a more simple design as the RR 105.4 that i have refurbished. You can compare them with the Kef CS7 from the same time area. In a german test in the stereoplay magazine 1988 they got about the same verdict. I have already did the job and they are now playing at my house. Indeed it are very nice speakers with a deep bassnote. But the imaging is less as the rr 105.4. Probably i will sell them in the future. The speaker units used are all from Vifa, the 25WP250 bass, DM760 dome midrange, HT275 tweeter. The DM760 is a very well designed and fresh sounding dome midrange speaker, the HT275 tweeter can be significant improved by using a ScanSpeak D2905/9300 or 9500, witch can be implanted without altering the crossover. The crossover is a hardwired type.

As i bought them:

Being overhault:

The hardwired crossover with the old green oxidated wires that i have replaced:

The components on the table:

Yust sprayed:

Almost ready with the new design:

Playing in my house:

Together with the RR 105.4:

Last edited by willem-57 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 am; edited 5 times in total
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a very nice speaker indeed. So i decided to refurbish the 20+ years old crossover. Because it's hardwired i can easily improve it to a really audiofile standard on a modest budget. The capacitators will almost all be replaced except 1 on the tweeter. On a Dutch forum i had help from someone who has more knowledge of this than i have. Because the tweeter is a bit edgie, or sharp, he recommended the Mundorf EVO oil capacitators that are more airy. The very good midrange speaker gets the Clarity PX witch will be mutch better as with the current one. And the woofer site will be replaced with the simple but good Jantzen 100 volt, it's now a 40 volt old one that is not so good. I,ve ordered the capacitators already.

Here site about all kinds of capacitators: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

The order:

Last edited by willem-57 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great project finished perfectly.
Thank you for sharing, I found it most interesting!
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Proffski,
As they be finished i will post the listening results. Can take some time, the suplier is on a holiday.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always nice to see the progress of a project with lots of photos. The link leads to another link to an interesting article about capacitor microphony.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I’ve known about the phenomenon in ceramic capacitors (1st hand) and how it now increasingly manifests in surface mount components but are you indicating problems with NP electrolytics as well?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in the level of signals used to get the measurements, but not much detail was given. As one who has external crossovers I thought it was worthwhile just from the multi-amping point of view, and have read opinions that the pressures inside cabs can cause microphony, but little in the way of scientific proof, as with so many "hi-fi" tweaks.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you read this: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

By the way, it's an enourmous site with lot's of information: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting links, thank you. I hope Kef measured the crossovers with the final layouts so any inductor coupling was compensated in the values chosen, the reference coils having been wound to suit the cap values, although my 105 layouts are very correct for minimum interaction Smile

Mr Gravesen did a very good page on one of my favourite speakers the Spendor BC1 trying to understand why the midrange was so spectacular (although there is a small error in the crossover circuit where the HF1300 phase should be reversed).
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the Kef rr105.4 crossover is designed is the right way, the coils are standing correct for a low induction as possible.
The self made vifa crossover they used a bigger surface to achieve the same purpose. Only the small coil L1 is to close to the bigger L4, so maybe upright the L1 like on the Kef crossover for the best result.

Last edited by willem-57 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, L1 should certainly have been hot glued as per Fig5 in your first link Smile
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m starting to rebuild the crossovers. Tuesday i will have the new components en will finish them.

Last edited by willem-57 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crossovers are finished and the result is indeed a more open tweeter and also the midrange is more clear. Only the lower octave is too mutch and i have too finetune this by changing the length of the reflex pipe.
I will let you know the result.

New crossover, as you can see i made a central - pool and also added tie ribs for the + wires. So nothing is hanging on the solder points as before. The new wires for the mid and treble are van den Hul cables.

Last edited by willem-57 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivace's are ready, took me a while to get the sound in balance because the tweeter was too loud in the original design. First i made a L-pad minus 2,5 db and still i was not 100% satisfied with the result. Happenly i found a vivace crossover update on a dutch speaker site. Here there is a 2.2 ohm resistor placed before the high section of the crossover. This way there is no phaseshift and the signal is already weakened before it goes through the capacitators etc. Result is now very good, mutch better balanced.

The L-pad i first made, but later removed:
Ioannis
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is old enough thread, but the Vivace is too good to leave alone!

I have the same box and would like to finish building them.

Questions:
1. Doesn't need the mid to be somehow insulated from the rest of the box? I found that the woofer is affecting very much the response in the mid band.

2. the tube of the bass reflex, how long should it be? Could not find any info on that.

My mid and tweeter drivers are a bit different (but optically the same): DM75 for the mid and D26TG-35 for the tweeter. Tweeter is too loud in relation to the rest of the drivers. It the 2.2 resistor enough to balance it ?

Thanks
Ioannis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: