SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on KEF 104 series speakers please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PressureDropper
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Advice on KEF 104 series speakers please Reply with quote

Hi there, I have just bought a pair of KEF 104 Reference Series speakers. There were not any leads provided with them. For the time being I will be running them from an Audiolab 8000 amplifier and wanted some advice on the connecting leads that I will need and where to get them. I would be interested to know which amplifiers are best suited to these speakers as I am a complete novice as far as KEF is concerned. In addition I would be grateful for any advice regarding the replacement of the foam covers, as these were also absent on purchase. And if anybody has any information about which stands would be best to use it would be appreciated. My intention is eventually to be using them in conjunction with a set of Technics decks. Finally I paid £80 for them is that a fair price? Please don't blind me with science in your answers, as you have probably guessed by now I am a bit of a technophobe. Cheers.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF stands for the 104s were 9" high.

Get an amplifier which can drive 4 Ohm speakers. The 104 impedance went quite low at around 3 kHz, the bottom of the tweeter band. The minimum real part of the 104 impedance was less than 3 Ohms. The 104aB was a lot better.

Early Quad 405s could current limit in a subjectively very nasty way with the non-aB version, if driven hard.

Last edited by speakerguru on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on all points SG!
As an ex owner I'd say that the stand is mandatory and certainly would urge changing the C/O configuration to that of the 104aB.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another agreement from someone who had both. Stands are mandatory for best sound, not too far into corners of rooms, and if you are at all critical of quality the aB crossover is worthwhile if you can find a set. Speaker leads, you do not have to spend a lot of money, a low resistance is the most important factor, 13A mains lead will start you off if you do not want to spend real money on your £80 speakers. The grill is more difficult, it had a reticulated foam grill which was very transparent for the treble sound but unfortunately fell to bits after a decade or two. If the velcro is still there on the baffle you could try and get some black LARGE hole foam a cm thick or so and cut it to fit? Otherwise its make a wood frame, grill cloth and staples but this arrangement can be worse in affecting the tweeter output unless carefully done.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago if I remember correctly both Falcon Acoustics and Winslow Audio sold it. Thinner than the original but did the job.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: R 104's Reply with quote

Congratulations Pressure on your 104 purchase.
The aB versions are one of my all time favorites. It seems I can never be without a pair. As soon as I cull the herd and let them go, another pair finds me and follows me home.

As for stands, I have found the very best are low (roughly 9") at the front that then slope gently back to about 8" on the rear. It kind of gives an R2D2 look to them and makes the tops unsuitable for placing and "decorations". But that's likely a good thing
Smile
For replacement foam grills I have bought open cell foam from Parts Express in the US. I'm sure similar stuff is available world wide.
I found that I had to add 3 additional layers of Velcro strips, stacked up atop each other. This allowed extra clearance in front of the tweeter dome, but still does not quite clear the crossover adjustment knob. Regardless, it looks great and is perfectly sonic neutral.

If you wish, PM me and I'll forward pictures of how the stands are constructed as well as the foam grills.

As for leads ... any quality cable will do, terminated with banana jacks at the speaker end Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: