SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi everyone KEF 105.2 Tweeter not working H E L P!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobbykef105.2
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Hi everyone KEF 105.2 Tweeter not working H E L P!!! Reply with quote

Firstly hello to everybody I'm a newbie here and this is my first post so please excuse me in advance for any mistakes or if I ask things which have previously been covered.I recently purchased a pair of KEF 105.2 speakers and have to say they are Amazing!! However I realised that one of the tweeters has no sound coming out of it the other speaker is perfect. I have removed the problem speaker head and connected it to the good speaker but still no sound coming out of the tweeter, interestingly the midrange box is ok albeit a little muddy in comparison to the good speaker. My gut instinct is there is a loose connection on the speaker head wires, maybe coming dislodged when I picked the speakers up from Yorkshire. Can anybody shine any light on this matter please. I don't believe it's a ferrofluid issue or a crossover issue to be honest that's just my hunch I am no expert. Does anybody know where I could get this problem looked into maybe in the North London/ Herts / Watford area? Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks Bobby.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferrofluid has nothing to do with it, and i believe that the T52 has no fluid? Maybe one of the other people here can tell you more about this.

The cause can be 2 things:
1 the speaker coil of the tweeter is burned, deu to overload.
2 On the crossover there is a problem with some capacitators with are have gone bad by aging, a problem that often occurs with 30+ year old speakers.

To be sure you have to switch the tweeters so you can hear if it is the tweeter itself or the crossover. Of course you can also use a multimeter to check this, with the ohm section.

If the tweeter coil is burned you have a problem, because the T52 is no longer produced. So you have to search the net for one. Or buy f.i. a set of CS9 witch have the same T52 tweeter.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A set of T52 tweeters in Holland: http://link.marktplaats.nl/m956599269
But i think you also find them in the UK.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T52 had a kraft paper voice coil former and so was never fitted with ferrofluid (Model KM1 was different).

Get a multimeter and check if the tweeter coil is open circuit or not. If it is around 6 Ohms, then it is probably OK. You can then move on to check the crossover filters. If you can solder, then you can do this by substitution and swapping sides. Do anything slowly and taking lots of photos and care. Then you should be able to find the problem without causing further damage.

Your opening sentence was too long and panic stricken; I fear for the life of your speakers if you attack them in the same way you started your post Laughing

Last edited by speakerguru on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobbykef105.2
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Willem and Thank You SpeakerGuru. Sorry if my opening sentence sounded panic stricken SpeakerGuru but that's why I am trying to find someone who can test and pinpoint the problem. The trouble is finding that someone near to me in Watford . Don't worry I have no intention of attempting the fix myself, I will leave it for an expert.Thanks guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: