SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My KEF 104/2 need some TLC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thyrringnielsen
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: My KEF 104/2 need some TLC Reply with quote

I am happy owner of a pair of KEF 104/2s. They were until recently hooked up to a Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp and a Threshold T-1oo power-amp using a Accuphase DP-65 CD player. They are now running with an Rotel RA-1570 amp because they are part of my home audio system. After roughly 20 years of service the woofers have some issues. I think it is the doughnut that is wearing out (I believe this is a known issue), and the rest of the speakers probably need to be looked at.

I am living in California, so the wrong side of the pond. I would appreciate if any of the US users can recommend a repair shop or an outlet where I can get spare parts in the US. I know this is probably a long short, but this user Forum was recommended by a repair shop in the UK.

Appreciate any advice that anyone might have. Thanks.
MartinW
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! There will be probably be better informed replies along soon, but the normal things that can need doing on 104/2s are:
1. foam doughnuts on the internal B200 bass drivers perish (as you've discovered)
2. foam surrounds on the B200s also perish (some have rubber surrounds which don't perish)
3. ferrofluid in the tweeters can dry out
4. crossover components can drift in value

I've DIY'd 1-3 and it's not particularly difficult. I posted some pictures of my refoaming efforts here http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1472 which might help you decide whether to have a go yourself or not.
Mine are also paired with a Rotel amp - a big old RB991 power amp and they still make a nice noise together.
ebf
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, to all who refurbish speakers with rubber grommets... I recommend changing them also:

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/speaker-repair-kits/repair-kits-by-brand/kef/rubber-grommets-for-kef-104-2-105-3-woofers-12-pack/

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/speaker-repair-kits/repair-kits-by-brand/kef/rubber-grommets-for-kef-107-2-woofers-16-pack/

I dont have deep insight into what the designers of the speakers where intending, but I see the rubber grommets as an important part of the dual coupled cavity configuration.

I feel that the LF is more accurate and better performs transients with new compared to old and teared up ones.

my 2 cents!
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebf wrote:
...I don't have deep insight into what the designers of the speakers where intending, but I see the rubber grommets as an important part of the dual coupled cavity configuration....

The woofers are mounted in mechanical opposition to cancel the forces that would be caused by the magnet assemblies in reaction to the cone movements. Any imbalance in the opposing forces from the two woofers is decoupled from the cabinet by the grommets. The idea is to reduce the mechanical excitation of the cabinet as much as possible. Using this technique cabinet vibration and consequent colouration of the sound is much reduced. The only cabinet excitation that remains is from the airborne acoustic system output.
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I also add a grain of salt when installing the woofers in a 104/2.
First, I do suggest to change the rubber grommets. They have been abused after 30 years and they are cheap.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/152131004734?hash=item236bb6e93e:g:wVgAAOSwjXRXYdI0&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoKg6wcmwxvPbM2p43AW8Fr5JFTIXixzWbBlX%2BPmi3d%2FMEOtsSGbHsR13LUEk%2BKRWaeJQWcExSeN%2FjfnILUKJS2Hdv%2Bt1%2F89%2FW8M5q2Cp6EI5gv7ugP5GPDMrqXGGpmD16eQfAg%2FZNn20Tgy2ftNDkgnAfJBFAjPV0Fsksg%2F4GmidotrW83e4VNIfsYcYqSJvNaj7aNo9NHRFYnBBV4lMOOE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_DOtviMYQ

And here's how I reinstall the woofers and torque rod. I initially install both woofers and rod without torquing the nuts on the woofers, allowing a bit of loose on the woofers, but I do torque the bolts to the rod. In my opinion, it is the aluminum rod that determines how you will fasten the small woofers nuts. These nuts should barely compress the grommets. They are already compressed between the baffles and basket thanks to the aluminum rod.

That being said, and it only involves myself, those small nuts shall be either double nuts (for locking), or Nylocks, otherwise they will undo over time.
Plenty of KEF components for a few fun builds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: