SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Tl's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
François
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new here and I am French... I read this board on and off for years, but Pete, you're the one who made me register... because I could have written the beginning of this thread myself... each word of it like "proud owner of a pair of 105.2's and loving them, but want to build something" and "I'll be using th classic B139 B110 T27 combo" and also "I'm more than capable woodwork/electronic wise"...

So you will understand that I'm more than interested in your project. I recently read a lot about transmission lines (this is new to me), but I can't say I'm sold to the principle...

My project will either be a close cabinet or a TL... So I wait for your impressions, your cabinet looks great, keep us posted !
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thsnks for the encouragment... Progress is a bit slow at the moment, noo I'm not losing interest but building a garage/come workshop! Better place to build than the Garden.
laureijs
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a new member and I'd like to introduce myself.
Well, I'm from The Netherlands, born 1973, studied (?) chemistry and now in the process of becoming a chemistry teacher.
My first recollection with KEF were my dad's Cambridge speakers which he bought in the UK. I remember him upgrading the HF unit with a Philips AD01631/T8. Later, much later I decided to buy him a pair of B110A's to upgrade the Philips AD5060/W8 which was employed as mid. That was in 1991 or 1992.
Later I decided to buy myself a CS7 kit to be bolted into a SOTA. Which was of coarse quite a challenge to built. It took me 'bout 30 hours to complete them. Some guy I met at a newyears party offered to paint them for me for less than €25 so I decided to throw in a cart of beer (or 2)
Later while exchanging a V6 engine of Ford Capri I spotted some really old B110 (1973). Since the guy thought they were ancient car speakers, he gladly parted with them for just €20 Together with the T27 from a sacrificed old speaker (corelli??) I build a CS1a. Still using the wrong filter but hey, we can always fix that.
The remaining SP1014 ended up in a bandpass enclosure (100x30x30cm if I remember correctly)

greetz, Erik
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Smile

Yes, one can count many an adventure with KEF units!
I once fitted a pair of KEF B110s and Philips tweeters to a friends Austin 1100 car. They took some driving and loading them was interesting (we cheated) it was the only car in the area with something aproaching Hi-Fi and with supeb bass! The Cassette player was a Sony TC10 and I forget as to what concoction we used to drive the speakers as the 3 or 4 watts from the Sony was simply not enough in a car like the 1100 and the fact that they are not exactly the most efficient cones around...

Oh well, back to the TLs.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite an adventure, Laureijs! Welcome!!
laureijs
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I should have alot pictures of the build of my SOTA but since that's from the analog age I have to scan them.
Same for the building instructions (sadly for you in metric units, but hey)

'Bout ICE: tried the Chorales on a 35 Watts RMS amp. Nice but 35Watts isn't enough to impress the neighbours
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My first recollection with KEF were my dad's Cambridge speakers which he bought in the UK."
Hello Laureis, welcome from TL 200, also living in the Netherlands.
Those Cambridges you mentioned, are those the R 50's?
I am the owner of TL 200's, that are R 50's, renamed to create the illusion of something new. More to read about this on the vintage cambridge site:

[url=http://groups.google.nl/group/vintage-cambridge-audio?hl=nl]

Btw, i am born in 1963, also "studied" chemistry and worked for years as
amanuensis and analist. Shocked
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: SOTA Reply with quote

Well this project finally got shelved, I built one of the cabinets and had the 4001's and 139's, but the shelf the 139's were on collapsed and 1 went scratchy and the price of t27's and 110's put me off plus I was not impressed with the standard crossover designs but lack the ability to do better..... so now it is a bi-amp project for my 105/2's. Need advice on how to bi-wire them and how to get rid of all the S-Stop nonsense. I'm happy to junk the DC blockers and put a protection cct in the amps (quad 405.2's), I'll be re-capping them anyway.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SOTA Reply with quote

peejay1959 wrote:
Well this project finally got shelved, I built one of the cabinets and had the 4001's and 139's, but the shelf the 139's were on collapsed and 1 went scratchy and the price of t27's and 110's put me off plus I was not impressed with the standard crossover designs but lack the ability to do better..... so now it is a bi-amp project for my 105/2's. Need advice on how to bi-wire them and how to get rid of all the S-Stop nonsense. I'm happy to junk the DC blockers and put a protection cct in the amps (quad 405.2's), I'll be re-capping them anyway.

.....I think I'll just stop reading this nonsense and go and watch the cycling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: