SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello to All fellow KEF Enthusiasts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O''blocked word' wrote:

Speakerguru, I know what you mean - the 109s are heavy beasts indeed. I'm not sure if I gave the correct serial number - they are 73A and 73B. Do you know how many were built? I'd certainly like to get some more info on this. The bass module is exceedingly heavy and beautifully built. Did you work with Dr. Andrew Watson on this project? I talked several weeks ago to Andrew Jones who had left KEF before the Maidstone project had fully commenced.

Sorry I don't know how many were built. I left shortly after the launch. Yes, I worked with Andrew Watson on the 109. I designed the 15" woofer and the 10" lower mid for that model. I also worked with AJ on Models 1, 2, 3 and 4, before that.
O'Shag
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply SpeakerGuru. You must be proud indeed to have designed the best bass drivers ever. The Wilson Alexandra X2s are good (A friend of mine owns them so get to hear them quite frequently), but I think the Maidstone bass 'nails' it. The only other speaker that I would love to have in addition to The Maidstone, is the TAD Model-1, designed by another alumni KEF designer, Andrew Jones, whom I guess you must know personally.

Regarding my question on using different wire for the jumpers, I did open the terminal plates to have a deek inside, and found that all wiring is the same Van Damme Total Definition, so there would be no reason to use different jumpers. I did test the Van Damme jumpers against some other high-end wire I have, and the Van Damme was very clearly superior.

I did notice however that some of the internal wire/cabling connecting the main input terminal plate to the plate that sits on top of the bass module was assembled without regard to signal direction (Van Damme claim their wire is directional). I guess this is an indication as to how much credence the KEF engineers give to the theory of wire directionality.

Thanks again for the response
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O''blocked word' wrote:
I guess this is an indication as to how much credence the KEF engineers give to the theory of wire directionality.

Nothing to do with theory. No one could ever hear the difference as long as the test was blind.

However, as you mention theory; if some cables do have directional properties, wouldn't you have to reverse the cable depending on whether the signal is positive or negative at any particular instance? Nice trick if you can do that Rolling Eyes .
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC or DC cables eh, time I must have wasted at college... Shocked
O'Shag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suspicious of the idea that speaker cables or interconnects conducting an electrical signal are directional, as some cable manufacturers claim. I'm also inclined to believe its pretty much marketing jive talk. I'm not an engineer myself though. The only case where I've heard a difference, is when reversing the Transparent cables I have, and then there is a noticable rolling off in the higher freqencies with a subjective 'muddying' of the sound - don't know why this would be, but I can hear it. The Transparents do have a network box, so this must have something to do with it.

Thanks by the way SpeakerGuru for offering to see if there is a manual on line for the R109. I know its a long shot but it would certainly be great if you could locate one.

I'm also on a mission to find something which will probably prove impossible to find - the ST109 supertweeter(the match for The Maidstone).
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread.
But these just came up locally! (Canada)

Now .... I have to check my lottery ticket!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649274379-kef-maidstone-speakers/

I find it very curious that the seller is "unable to audition". Hmmmmm.
vistisen

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O. Chef wrote:
I know this is an old thread.
But these just came up locally! (Canada)

Now .... I have to check my lottery ticket!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649274379-kef-maidstone-speakers/

I find it very curious that the seller is "unable to audition". Hmmmmm.

I find it more strange that one of the 'fell over' I thought that they would be the only thing left standing after an atomic blast.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fist heard these amazing transducers at the Bristol Hi-Fi show and immediately fell in love with them. Glorious in articulation and dynamic range. Shame my wallet was never deep enough, one hell of an amazing loudspeaker!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: