SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Refernce 203/1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goonybird
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Kef Refernce 203/1 Reply with quote

Ok I know not strictly classic Kef, but I am restoring a Pair of Kef Reference 203/1. Currently using Kef 104.2 (have done ferrofluid and duffnuts) with 200c centre, but owned the 104.2's for 30years and felt time to change.

As acquired one Hyper Tweeter was broken off, SP 1468 Two Bass units Chassis' broken and Concentric tweeters pushed in. Had a 202c with them.
So for now have used the two SP1468 from the 202c. Repaired the stub mount to the hyper-tweeter to get a working pair of main speakers.
After one week I blew the Hyper tweeter! But had bought a Sp1505x, which looks similar, off ebay new and fitted that.
Used tape to pull tweeters back out.

Now problem is I need 2x SP1468 bass units. Quote from kef is approx £400+ the pair. Bit more than I was expecting. So If I leave the bass units as is I was thinking of fitting something else to the 202C Centre speaker to bring it back in to use, maybe Audax AP170.

I know for sound balance original is best but for center speaker wasn't too fussed so any advice?
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with them? Perhaps they can be repaired for a fraction of the cost.

Don't know where you are located but check them out:
http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk
goonybird
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both diecast chassis are smashed beyond repair.
The history is the previous owners kids knocked one speaker over. So cabinet is ok but suffered internal damage to units.
They sound fine with the bass units from the 202c but need something temporary for the 202c while I wait for something to turn up secondhand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: