SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

model 103 Type SP 1048 KEF speakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveJ
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: model 103 Type SP 1048 KEF speakers Reply with quote

Hi there,

My name is Dave Jennens and I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

My parents passed a year back and I recently inherited my Dad’s hifi system which was basically an early 2000’s Technics amp, CD, tuner and turntable set up, connected to a pair of model 103 Type SP 1048 KEF speakers – but I’m missing some wiring and I’ve no idea what to plug into the back of the speakers in order to connect them up to the amp. ie., what sort of connectors/plugs I need – there appears to be two different types of connector? – would that be right? …

If someone can tell me how to attach photos to a post, I'll do just that but I can't seem to find an "attachments" option? ....

I hope someone can assist – many thanks in advance – much appreciated …

Cheers for now,

Dave J
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If still in spec they were great speakers, even today, though need a powerful amp ideally since quite inefficient.

If I remember correctly there was a grey plastic inset panel with both DIN speaker sockets (the small slot and hole) now way out of date, and 4mm sockets in parallel. So all you need is 4mm plugs, red and black connected with some thickish wire to the red and black of the amp, and just ignore the DIN sockets.
DaveJ
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this - much appreciated - sorry to go on - but are these 4 mm plugs that you refer to also called Banana Plugs? - been trying to Google what I need to look for and it seems that South Africa isn't particularly with it when it comes to HiFi bits and pieces - so I want to make sure I ask for the right thing!

Many thanks once again.
DaveJ
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and I forgot to add - the amp is a Technics SU-A900MK2 - do you think it'll have the "grunt" to drive these speakers properly? ...

Cheers ...
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 90W should be fine, unlike the original 104 the 103 impedance is not a difficult load, and yes banana plug is the old name when made with somewhat thinner metals. This is the sort of thing to look for
https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-electronic-banana-plugs-4mm-60v-16a-519989
should be easy to find something not too expensive on eprey?
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to specs (see http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/museum/1970s/Reference_Series103/index.html) you can use an amplifier between 25-100WRMS.

The A900MkII, rated at 90WRMS @8Ohms, seems to be a very good match, being able to deliver just about 103dB/1m, which won't rattle the house but will give pretty realistic sound levels in a medium room.
DaveJ
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both very much - I'll go shopping for said plugs and once the unit is all set up, I'll report back!

Cheers for now

Dave J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: