SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B200 SP1039 frequency graph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wightie
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: B200 SP1039 frequency graph Reply with quote

hi there,
just holed a B200 SP1039 in a rather embarrasing incident and so am not left hunting around for a replacement.

given it doesnt appear to be too easy to locate another ive begun looking are alternative options. was just wondering if anyone has a frequency response graph for these units so i can look at how close alternatives are.
i have a data sheet but its lacking this info.

if anyone can help id be most grateful....ideas on good alternatives or someone with a replacement would also be welcome Smile

thanks guys,
neil
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the Proac man from diyaudio.com.

1. Bextrene is a Polystyrene, Butadiene (rubber) co-polymer, so two pieces of Gaffa tape (I kid you not) either side of the hole will get you going.

Q- do I know what Gaffa tape is made from? A- well I know what the black stuff is made from, something similar to 3-heptene, 2,2,4,6,6-pentamethylhept-3ene.

2. Contact David Smith in Hornchurch 01708 447344 - he'll do an excellent recone of the beast for ~£30-40+shipping. The Lowther and Tannoy boys have got their hooks into this ex-BBC man, so ask in their forums if you require more recommendations.

He may also be able to help out with your dead Audax dome.

3. If you're flying down to the NVCF at the Motorcycle Museum just down the road from the NEC on the 2nd of October, let me know and we'll "talk turkey".

4. Shame you didn't kill a Motorola, I've a pair of those in my bits box, but that's another story.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I doubt if frequency graphs are the answer.
The KEF B200 cones do have a close family sound, as far as I know testing was done steady state.
Even the similar Dalesford D50/200 sounds different but looks so much like a KEF product, even down to the cone material and damping.
Transient / Impulse resopnse is probably more accurate.
But to get another cone to sound similar is a hell of a long shot.
EBay is possibly an answer.

I would seriously take Collins advice, at least till you can find another wee beastie from the same stable.
(Wish I had taken more notice in my chemistry lessons Collin...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: