SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 105.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skuur
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Kef 105.1 Reply with quote

Hello,

First of all, let me introduce myself.

I am Marcel Schuurmans
43 years old, from ’s-Hertogenbosch in the Netherlands

Since i was a young boy i liked high quality audio equipment, and Kef and Marantz especially
I own Kef speakers, and a marantz amp for many years, and love them still

Now i’ve recently bought myself a pair of Kef 105/1 for my analog setup
They are in great shape, and i’ve had high hopes when i connected them to a luxman SQ507X amp

But it was a deception !
I am missing a lot of low frequenties
I am missing the “punch”

Now my accusation goes toward the luxman (50W)
I think it does'nt have enough power to supply the 105’s with a decent signal

I’ve heard in the past that the 105’s are difficult to play ?

I hope you can give me advice on wich sort of amp i could best use
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome.
The 105.1 is really an easy load. and though they will improve with better amps, 50W should be enough to get a decent sound since they are not really low impedance.

So what can we theorise?
Punch is subjective, 105 bass is low colouration so bass will depend on the program and expectations.

Secondly bass clarity will depend on positioning and room, this can have a big effect, they need space around them to image well.

Thirdly there is a fault, push the B300 in evenly round the dust cap to its limit and let go, it should return to centre v-e-r-y slowly. If not check the sealing of the B300 baffle and the box internals around the cardboard tube? If the drivers still seem ok it is possible crossover capacitors may have drifted after this length of time? As an experiment short out the series bass capacitor of 360uF in the lower cabinet? Download a test frequency sweep or pink noise in octaves run and see if anything is obviously wrong?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
... Secondly bass clarity will depend on positioning and room, this can have a big effect, they need space around them to image well.....

+1 on that. The floor rigidity and construction has a big effect.

...and welcome to the forum.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here,
My 105.1 didn't need too much power before the couch I was sitting on started to vibrate in sync. The room is the key. In a small room you eventually have speaker/listener positioning combinations that can act like a "bass sink".

Also, the R105 are not disco style boom boxes. They can sound like that if you boost the bass or press the loudness switch but they are designed to give you flat, clean, response down to the 35Hz region.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Kef 105's (original version) Reply with quote

These are without doubt the finest vintage KEF system pre-1990 I've had the pleasure of owning. Congratulations on your purchase!

From my experience I can suggest that you may need to give attention to the crossovers. A capacitor replacement could make all the difference you're hoping for.
The bass section caps would be the ideal place to test first. (They are located next to the woofer on the bass section panel .. easy to access).
My pair, so recapped, gives the most pleasing bass I could want. Having said that ... they do NOT work so well in any home theater set up without some LF help from a sub-woofer. These are Music Only speakers.

There are many great posts here in this forum on the 105's worth scouring for.
Please let us know how you make out with them. Operating properly they WILL grow on you Smile
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What replacement caps did you use, if I may ask?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the original Falcon do some kits

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=kef105

the 2% kit would probably be the nearest to factory spec.

You could use polypropylene or polyester but would need to add some set on test resistors in the mid and treble to account for the lower internal loss factors. This is what I did many years ago when able to accurately measure the originals before any drift had set in and replace with better than 0.5% polyprops.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/104180219325545034095/album/AF1QipPHKnXaHQjcqqSZbY2x3yAdumVzz0s2wmk_vfDC/AF1QipNBsRndQN0SYRd8IF01XNlHdBvPjWlfF-_GmbIq

here the crossovers are under the 3 power amps in a separate box and triwired (actually quad wired with the indicator) to the drive units. Without knowing the original values there will be some inaccuracy since Kef used computer matching of tolerance bands to obtain sets very close to the design centre result. But the Falcon 2% should be the best fit and last for the next decade or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: