SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubber surround is sliding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlmadsen
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Rubber surround is sliding Reply with quote

HI all
(my first post in this forum, so I hope I get the syntax right)

I recently bought a pair of Q10’s, very cheaply. So fare so good. They play very well and even after today’s standard they are great.

However, upon closer inspection of the UniQ, on one of them the “out-gluing” of the rubber suspension seems to have been “sliding” toward the center. It has not come loss, it has just moved. It can be seen in the lower right section of the unit.

This makes the suspension folder in a funny way. The unit is still fully functional and the everything is moving as it should, not rubbing of anything like that.

The question is, should I try to cut it loose and move/clue it back into position ?. I don’t know if it will keep moving, but if it does, one should expect that it will move the unit off-center at some point in time.

(how do I add a picture ?)

Thomas
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload your pics to a free site, eg picassa, open them there in a window with its own web address, then use the img button in the message box here to copy the link into your text. Pic will then appear in your message.
tlmadsen
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

THe two pictures that I am refering to in post #1 can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B55b2z_9XoeaUmVUZjRkWjBESzg?usp=sharing

Thomas
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly look "unhealthy".

But check out the pictures here:
http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G0201/E/0-50/C10-50703-58643-00/
The deformation on the surround is almost visible in multiple points on these as well. Not sure if this is a production error.

What I don't understand is the multiple "pinches" on the basket outer rim.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In production the surround was vacuum formed hot onto the adhesive coated green card ring and then both trimmed with a knife; the hot plastic reactivating the adhesive. It looks like some of this joint has crept across over the years. If it's not leaking or rubbing, I would leave it alone. If you do lift it and try to re-stick it, how will you force and keep it in shape with the voice coil centralised while the adhesive cures?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: