SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fun Isobarik loudspeaker project with 8 no. B139 woofers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkmatter
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: A fun Isobarik loudspeaker project with 8 no. B139 woofers Reply with quote

I have 8 of these woofers doing very little in excellent condition.

One speaker I have been a fan of and particularly for its bass performance is the Linn Isobarik.

What I am planning is a stereo speaker system using a high quality Seas Full range unit in a small module mounted onto of a woofer enclosure which will be mounted 4 B139 bass units in an Isobarik configuration.

Series parallel connection this will realise a relatively kind 8 ohm load. Two woofers will be mounted on the front baffle with two units closely coupled behind them so that these inner woofers then see the inside of the main enclosure.

Now the crossover initially will be passive, a simple series inductor with parallel resistance to tune the upper midrange of the Seas FR unit, then a straightforward third order network on the Bass.

Likely crossover point will be around 300 Hz or so with a 1st order on the Seas and the Bass network probably from the CS7 kit to begin with.

Now to model the cabinet for the Isobarik system.

I will tune low so that system Q is around or below 0.5 after the crossover has added its additional resistance to the drivers.

Any comments welcome

Simon Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: