SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Kef 107's don't sound very well.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: My Kef 107's don't sound very well. Reply with quote

Not been a good year, my systems have sad idle in storage for some years, wired it all back up last year and the Krell KRC 3 volume is only working via remote, couple of months back my Krell Kav250a just went dead during a listening session.

And today I plugged in an old power amp and decided to use some low frequency cd's as I thought the sound a little light.

Quite a bit of distortion on left bass, reminicent or foam rot and im sure I heatd cone bottom out.

Kube is a little dirty sounding too. Never worked on the Kube, though it was a replacement for an old model with captive leads.
Speakers I put new crossovers and bass drivers in around 15 or more years ago I think.

Old parts still in the loft as the previous owner had converted them to tri-wire by butchering the crossovers.

Now thinking should I save for replacement speakers and amps or service and repair.

Not even in a financial position to replace with modern equivalents at the moment.
Mind_Drive
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that....always a fear with older stuff.

Replacing the 107- the question is, what is a modern equivalent?

I've recently had a very expensive (5k+) pair of modern speakers in here...and my 105 were not disgraced at all. You might even call it a matter of taste.

The good thing with the 107 is that it seems you don't need to buy megabuck amplification to get good results- according to the knowledge online. So if you decide to keep using them, that part of the equation need not be too wallet-crunching!
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really loved the way the Krell controlled the low end though, only other power amps I have liked have been Classe and Bryston.

My Kube certainly seems to have deteriorated, still not got around to looking inside the Kef.
Recovering from a broken wrist n other issues at home.

I love the Kef sound, but but this is the second set of Drivers n Crossovers and Kube the system has been through, feel like they are nearly as old as me lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: