SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phase of KEF 107/2 tweeters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditton6688
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Phase of KEF 107/2 tweeters Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm restoring my Kef 107/2. I open the head and find confused with the phase of their tweeters. The brown wire is plugged into the HF- (negative) while the blue wire is plugged into the HF+ marking on the PCB. The brown color is always the positive when paring with blue color. Can you please advise if the phase of my KEF 107/2 is correct?

Many Thanks,
Raymond
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Phase of KEF 107/2 tweeters Reply with quote

ditton6688 wrote:
"The brown color is always the positive when paring(sic) with blue color"

Brown is LIVE and blue is NEUTRAL for ac mains in the EU but none of that has any bearing on KEF speaker wiring conventions.

KEF started off using black as common/ground/0V/"negative" and then using red for LF, green for MF and Blue for HF hot/live/"positive". This followed on from light, where blue is towards the high frequency end of the spectrum and red towards the low frequency.

It all got a bit more complicated later using 6 way cables for head units, etc. That's how the blue/brown became the pair to use for tweeters; the blue remaining as the hot.

All Reference speakers were checked, measured and re-checked before leaving the factory. If no-one has been in there before you, then the phasing and connections will be correct.

Last edited by speakerguru on Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ditton6688
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Phase of KEF 107/2 tweeters Reply with quote

Many thanks SpeakerGuru!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: