SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with SP1032 crossovers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Problem with SP1032 crossovers Reply with quote

I've recently replaced all the capacitors on my Corelli speakers following advice from here (Colin?), however I now have a slight problem. I wouldn't claim to be an expert at soldering but I feel I've done a resonable job, alas both speakers have ended up sounding different, not wrong mind... but different.

I have one bass driver which sounds very bright whilst the other is more bass so, I'm guessing that I have a bad joint(s) somewhere in one of the crossovers, but which one? No doubt someone will suggest I test the capacitors on the board with a meter, alas although I have one I've never worked out how to use it! So how do I get round the problem? I know I could take them both apart again but that doesn't mean I'll do any better a job second time round. If I knew which drive was 'wrong' it would narrow my options, should the bass drives on the Corellis be pure bass or would they have treble coming through as a two way design? The tweeters are fine by the way. Either way they still sound great but I'd prefer they sounded the same.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "bright one" has a bad joint on C2 eliminating L2 from the circuit.

Do I win a prize if I'm right? Smile
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this space...
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say… truly you are a man of great wisdom, your diagnosis was spot on (ever thought of becoming a doctor? Maybe you are one). Now at the risk of testing your patience if I thought that this same speaker was still a shade off in the depth department what would I be looking for? It’s subtle but I sense the other drive still appears to reach further down, though perhaps I should listen awhile longer before making this judgement. The crossovers are SP1052 by the way not as subject title.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ever thought of becoming a doctor?

I've already got a little something which is useful for intimidating Banks, Sales, Marketing, etc., which just happens to be a little more advanced than either MD or PhD Cool .

Quote:
his same speaker was still a shade off in the depth department

Although there are at least two different SP1052 crossover topographies, I think (from memory ) you've messed up C3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: