SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a replacement woofer for my 104 ab s
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cigfran wrote:
If you find an SP1039 bass unit for sale look for the little white spot in the middle of the dustcap on the centre of the unit.
This indicates the improved higher temperature aluminium and nomex voice coil former, so the unit will handle higher power and be less prone to failure.

That was used by Production for a while after the changeover but after a while further they stopped using the spot. Can't give you any dates, sorry.
BTW, the nomex VC former was perfectly adequate for most users. I was only a problem with vinyl users who did not have a rumble filter in their amplifier. Warped discs could cause the coil to spend too much time out of the gap thereby not having sufficient cooling from the magnet parts.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that explains everything. So the new former helped with dissipation and allowed the spec to be increased to 100W, do you remember if it was concurrent with the launch of the aB version, or just accidental around the same time so some original 104s might have the uprated driver?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just around the same time. The vc change was a result of too many warranty returns and pressure from Sales & Marketing. The aB was the first result of the target function approach to xo design following the arrival of the R & D computer, a HP Fourier Analyser. The aB also addressed the issue of low impedance at crossover. The previous Model 104 dipped below 4 Ohms around crossover, which was "naughty" for a nominally 8 Ohm speaker, and caused premature current limiting with some amplifiers. Quad's Peter Walker would have complained and Laurie Fincham always took their comments seriously despite initially making g light of it Laughing .
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, as an aside I built the original Quad 405 when it first came out (the only parts difficult to source in those days were the output transistors, I bought a set direct from Quad) and it was fine with the 104 but better with the 104aB. It peaked at 6 ohm and was well on the way down at 4 ohm, which the 405-2 addressed. I was going to modify the boards to take the new protection module which allowed high current peaks into low impedances but by then had moved on to more transparent amps.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dQvY_JzOlnOCQI3CU_r4M1J-VCAfQoQxaVOznwBUZXqrwvB4H787HUCOJcciuNkPQAIo4Wt8e4dvN7XoIFlhRYtIln38AEb5hzRJ6tR4uHEFL5GecoKoCAA20Ho5RteivAFeoN5nxfTZdwcKmMM_rU=w1326-h994-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e1LYjMRpAMPP43DuijYdIp6ZtZEgvv2Xlc6xqQ3K1w1ap5IfRQTmpikp0GiORh1wLEbJZashvvCkon9qtHUcOD945429KvcFAgtOvPmCIe4t4wYvtC-Du4LDYsiPEg7JNmU-QnZn44O0h_1BuCGpyf=w1326-h994-no?authuser=0

That computer was ground breaking. It allowed Kef to mass produce stuff to the tolerances Spendor still had to hand select.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see your aside and raise it Laughing. When the Q405 came out, the boot was on the other foot. Their current limiter was far too aggressive and could be activated with 8 Ohms speakers which were well within BS and IEC limits for impedance.

What was far worse was that when they current limited the amplifier effectively had a negative output impedance which, if bigger than the speaker Z magnitude at any frequency, formed an oscillator at that frequency which swung the whole supply (100V p-p clipped) across the speaker. Sounded horrendous rather than just bad, as per regular output clipping. Quad changed the limiter to a more friendly and non-oscillating design with the 405-2, mostly as a result of my testing at KEF.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 150 watts at 6 ohm was probably resistive and large or dynamic reactance was not handled as well, surprising really from the electrostatic people. I added their thyristor circuit across the outputs.This was described as a dc shutoff in case bias diodes went open circuit, but had a time constant, I wonder if it was there to be also triggered under your described conditions. I must say I never played the 104s loud enough to have any bad experiences, but the aB was definitely better.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used 8 x 405 cards in the KM1 amplifier but without the thyristor crowbar circuit d.c. protection. It was not needed and it was always on the verge of triggering with high LF content. IIRC if you tested with 20Hz sine wave you could see it trying to cut in every half cycle.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, yes, of course, you used it in your KM1! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: