SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calinda - loved or not

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glue
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Calinda - loved or not Reply with quote

I`m playing (plaging?) myself with the idea of purchasing some KEF CALINDA
Now if heard things like `oh yes great` to - `oh no too dull` ...
Now I`m familiar with building (restoring) crossovers
and I surely understand the need to change the damping material within as essential, but what I`d like to know as changing the specs on a crossover will surely change the sound is , what would I make of the fact changing the oval passive unit to a KEF B139 SP 1044 or similar ...
Any recommondations, please?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Calinda - loved or not Reply with quote

Glue wrote:
Any recommondations, please?

I think it's up to you. I don't really see how anyone else can advise you. Assuming they're not expensive, get them, try them and make up your own mind. Laughing
Re changing a passive radiator for a driven woofer, that would be a complete and pointless redesign and, I suspect, probably beyond your measurement capabilities. Question
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Calinda sound nice, after I replaced the crossover caps. Some of them ha drifted too much and high frequencies were muffled.

I don't know what kind of sound you are expecting or what kind of music you enjoy but for moderate levels with Jazz and Classical music, they sound great. They are not very big and fit well in a small sitting room.

As said, replacing the PR with an active woofer would wreck the design. Don't consider it.
Glue
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - the purchase was delayed for now as Corona restrictions wouldn`t allow any travel. Crying or Very sad
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this pandemic ever end? Sad

I love my Calinda's, I have a surround set up with a smaller KEF speaker as the center channel and it works beautifully! Relatively inexpensive, too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: