SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 105 and Tannoy Monitor Golds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eschenborn
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: KEF 105 and Tannoy Monitor Golds Reply with quote

Dear fellow aficionados, here is another thing that makes me think about. But maybe only borderline the right forum section?

I have recently heard a lot about these vintage tannoy coaxial speakers. Never listened to them though. I'd wonder how they sound – in comparison to a big vintage KEF reference speaker.

I only know that Nelson Pass of Pass Labs uses them in Horn enclosures for his personal evaluation stuff (Jensen Imperial).

Maybe one or two of you have had the chance to listen to both MG and 105 (or even the whol evolutionary ladder 105-107-105.3) and can share a bit.

Thanks!
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago a friend of mine at work had 15inch Tannoy golds in huge (but not that deep) corner cabinets which he regarded as real hi-fi. I remember his favourite demonstration track was Klauss Wundelich and Swingin' Safari, though he did like classical too.
One day he visited to listen to my system which at the time had 104aBs, and later Spendor BC1s.
The Tannoys were sold and he built the Cantata kit with the B139, B110, T52 drivers in a very large, very solid box placed on stands a la BBC practice. he was well pleased with the swap.

Tannoys used to be used in recording studios for the single purpose of going REALLY loud. The paper cones and particularly horn tweeters were pretty coloured though, just like the JBLs also used at that time.
eschenborn
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's a lovely story for the start!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: