SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Concertos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Concertos Reply with quote

I've been offered a pair of these recently and thought I'd ask peoples opinion of them. I have not had the opportunity to listen to them but I note from here they are at their best in bigger spaces. I live in a fairly small flat so perhaps they would overwhelm the space. Thoughts please.

Could I also ask why they were designed with the crossovers on the front panel? It makes for a particularly ugly finish, I'll be keeping the grilles on! Is it easy enough to find replacement cloth for these as there appears to be water stains across them. They need some tlc to bring them back to life really as I'm told both t27 units also need replacing, were they a problem in this design?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony grab them if they're cheap, as you can sell the bits on ePay if you don't like the sound of their midrange compared to your Corellis.

"A big speaker in a small room won't perform optimally, but in most domestic situations they'll sound better than a smaller simpler design." - Bert Webb.

The crossover position is due to the baffles being available as KEF kit 3's, so why would KEF have multiple "cutting out" templates for an identical configuration?

Blown T27's are more of a user problem, having too many loud partys with a small amplifier driven into clipping.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the price is reasonable go for them. As Colin says the components can be sold if it doesn't work out. So much can however be done to achieve a good sound with the 'raw ingredients' of the Concerto.
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no problem having them as they were rescued on the verge of being thrown into a skip at the Royal College here in London, two pairs in fact, luckily a good friend of mine who works there was passing at the time and he shares my disgust at such waste.

I think I was more concerned to find out how much time to invest in them
in the longer term with regard refurbishment and subsequent audio results. I know I'll end up struggling to find space for them but I like the thought of bringing them back to life.
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair have just gone up on ebay in a considerably better condition than the ones I'm rescuing. I'll be interested to see what they go for. Any guesses?
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash on collection makes it impossible for most people to engage with this auction and so I will be surprised if it does well.

Breaking up a good pair and using a rough guide of 50, 50, 50, 20, 10 GBPs for the B139, B110, T27, box, crossover respectively, that is a total of 180GBP. Good used B139s go for 75GBP as do good B110s. The drive units on offer look good enough. A check on previous eBay sales show that a pair of crossovers sold for 50 GBP recently (madness) and the boxes alone sold for 30GBP.

120GBPs would be an excellent price for the buyer for the Concertos the way they are but with no delivery and no postage it is uncertian. Could be a good buy for someone. The seller would get far more breaking them up - but we don't like to see that do we? Colin have you got any garage space?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colin have you got any garage space?

Not for those, but the Barney Smyth versions, here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-KEF-CONCERTO-LOUDSPEAKERS-BOXED-NR-MINT-N-R_W0QQitemZ5818456426QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would be found a home Very Happy , not at that price though Shocked , and not at my place Cool .

Terry, why not ask the nice Canadian man for some bigger photographs, as the assembly is somewhat different to that of the UK version.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, I was just thinking about doing that then I realised that I had 1000 other photos still to put onto the site.
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What impresses me is that they are still in their boxes. How do you manage that after thirty years?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: