SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B300B woofer...any difference between unit in 105.2 and CS9?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam_audio
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: B300B woofer...any difference between unit in 105.2 and CS9? Reply with quote

The B300B that goes with the CS9 kit has a sticker around the magnet that says "Constructor Series". Other than the label, is there any difference between this woofer and the one that comes stock in the 105.2 or are they totally identical drivers?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is there any difference between this woofer and the one that comes stock in the 105.2

Not really, they weigh the same and have the same cones, but the response may be a little different, as the Constructer Series quality is below that of production stock.

Also look at my photographs of the two B300B magnets.

Stock Ref 105-2's have bolted magnets.

KEF rebuilds and all of the Constructor Series will have the epoxy'd version.
Wouter
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I didn't know there was a difference between the production speakers and the constructor series.
The speakers, like in IMF, Linn,...: which quality do they match? To the production series or the constructor, or better than those two?

Best regards,
Wouter
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Wouter, I've got a Constructor Series B110B where the cone is distorted and the dustcap is at an angle of thirty five degrees, the magnets a bit smaller, it weighs ~50g less than one out of my Ref 101's - my kitchen scales don't like magnets.

KEF supplied spec'd units to IMF before they tied up with Elac and made their own.

I've never seen an original drive unit design from Elac btw, they've always looked like "knock-offs" of contemporary Peerless, KEF, Audax, Celestion and Volt designs.

The Elac version of the metal GEC designed STC/ITT/Coles 4001 is a hoot btw, being the one of the nastiest pieces of sharp plastic I've ever seen.

Regarding Linn drivers, you may draw your own conclusions Cool .

Better Laughing Laughing Confused Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: