SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help to identify these KEF B110's - SP1027

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin210554
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Help to identify these KEF B110's - SP1027 Reply with quote

Smile Hello, I am new to the forum, there are certainly some interesting topics covered, glad I discovered you guys at long last.

I maybe new to the forum but not so new to hi-fi speakers. I presently have a pair of Linn Isobariks (bought new in '85) and a pair of Gale 401's the chrome jobs, so I am not your youngest member.

Can anyone help me Question
I have recently been trying to track down the specs. of a couple of KEF B110's that I bought a few years back. The ref. is SP1027 not the more normal 1057's and so far I have drawn a total blank both on searching this forum/mana/naim forums, all the places I know. Even Google can't find a remote reference anywhere.
The only clues are perhaps:- they are new/unused (hence relatively recent), one is in moulded polystyrene packaging still, they were actually bought in Germany as new old stock. It definately says B110 SP1027 on the chassis labels. 8 ohm markings, KEF logo in blue and writing white on black label, label on side/circumference of magnet not on rear (I could post pics if it helps and I can find out how to do it on the forum!)
This has really got me stumped, they look virtually identical to my Isobarik B110's from front (which I assume are 1057's) but I obviously haven't removed these to compare the magnets/rear.
Are they OE units for a speaker I'm not familar with ie Meridians or did KEF change its reference numbers at the end of production or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as there seem to be some contributors on this forum with really extensive knowledge of all things KEF.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea Very Happy .

In the dim and distant you could upgrade Ref 107's to the 107-2 specification by changing the "head" units and crossover from 8 to 4 Ohm.

Now I suspect the 4 Ohm B110 unit used was SP1209, with an all black label.

Which begs the question what SP number did it replace?

It wasn't a SP1057 as the cone material used was polypropylene, unless KEF marketing were lying Cool .

Now, the use of polystyrene packaging and a three colour identification label would fit your drivers nicely into this particular void.

And no, it's not an 8 Ohm varient of the B110C SP1228 as the OEM packaging would be Origami'd cardboard and label colour just black.

As you have Gale 401's, would you like all the emails I get about them Shocked , you can also have all the emails about IMF ALS40 mk1's.

Two Peerless bass units, Peerless KO40MRF, Celestion or Peeless tweeter.
robin210554
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a speedy reply Colin. These are definitely 8ohm units but I note your comments on label design, I think they are certainly the later type labels not the traditional KEF ones I remember.
If I knew how to set up external pictures I would post them, that might help - I will check out how you do it but I'm not a PC expert...yet.
Since these units are new I don't think they can have been removed from an existing speaker - they really look like SP1057's but the SP number can't be wrong! Anyone else any thoughts?
As far as Gales go I am certainly happy to assist with posts but not sure I am 'fully qualified' actually I have 2 pairs currently, one needing driver replacements and a full strip down. I bought my first pair of 401's new in 1977 but sold them to finance the Isobariks.
I remember the IMF's don't know alot about them but drivers you mention are obviously akin to Gales.
robin210554
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: A further update on my B110B's - SP1027's aka SP1057's Reply with quote

terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread
Robin210554 - do you mind if I publish the photos and some of the content - subject to your editorial control - on the main site?
Terry
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What incredibly interesting postings indeed, fascinating!
Please keep the information flowing, this is brilliant.
robin210554
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't get the ebay url link sorted properly but the pics do help to understand the design of the B110's in their different specs & indeed my "1027's".
I have no problem posting on the site if it helps others and I don't think Chris x would as although they are his views I have deliberately left out all identifying personal details or the several contacts he has given me for the old KEF designer team, who are still in the speaker industry if not all still in the UK..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: