SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 101.2 Uni-Q Loudspeakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasw98
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: KEF 101.2 Uni-Q Loudspeakers Reply with quote

First time post, long time KEF owner.
I own 2 pairs of KEF 101.2 Reference Series loudspeakers. They are Type SP3123 and have a B160 SP1271 LF driver with a date of Feb 6, 1991. They are of the Uni-Q variety in that the tweeter is inside the woofer. Does anyone know anything about these speakers? Where can parts be obtained or qualified repairs made. I can find no mention of them anywhere at all.

Chuck
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF 101.2 Uni-Q Loudspeakers Reply with quote

Chuck, what repairs / information do you require? Shocked
chasw98
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF 101.2 Uni-Q Loudspeakers Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
Chuck, what repairs / information do you require? Shocked

One of the drivers has a locked up woofer, will not move. One of the other drivers has a damaged tweeter. It is barely audible. Not completely blown, but definitely not as loud as the other three units.

As far as information, I am looking for anything, technical specs, reviews, etc. I believe that these were very expensive for their time and highly rated, but, I just don't know. To me they sound wonderful.

Thanks,
Chuck
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: KEF 101.2 Uni-Q Loudspeakers Reply with quote

Ok, I'll look in my attic store...
Do not hold your breath as a few variants of the B160 exist.
(Good Old KEF!).
I have many gaps in my files, so please be patient.
Give me a couple of days.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from gutting another one of the other Reference Models 102/2, 103/4 and 105/3 which used the same 6.5" chassis I've no idea.
You can get an up to date replacement tweeter directly from KEF but it's expensive, R1584X @ $83.
chasw98
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll look in my attic store...
Do not hold your breath as a few variants of the B160 exist.
(Good Old KEF!).
I have many gaps in my files, so please be patient.
Give me a couple of days.

proffski:
Thank you. There is no need for any hurry. I have waited this long, I can wait some more. Thanks for your help.

Apart from gutting another one of the other Reference Models 102/2, 103/4 and 105/3 which used the same 6.5" chassis I've no idea.
You can get an up to date replacement tweeter directly from KEF but it's expensive, R1584X @ $83.

colinr:
Is the replacement tweeter the same type that will fit in the woofer where the dust cap would normally be?

I have disassembled my ailing 101/2 and have found that the inner magnet is not aligned correctly. The voice coil gap is very big on one side and touching on the other side. The magnet is ruined! In the process of removing the magnet the cone of the woofer became unglued from the spider assy and has a small rip in it. The voice coil is also probably ruined from being squeezed between the magnets and my subsequent removal of the magnet. I am pretty sure that a "speaker reconing service" could make this into a speaker again, but I fear it would not be a KEF speaker, i.e., they would not use the same magnets, surrounds, etc. That is why I came here. To find out if it is possible to have it repaired to original specs. Otherwise I will be shopping for a new speaker system. That will mean spending upwards of $2000.00 to get something comparable, in my opinion. Once again, thank you for your replies and help.

Chuck
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Chuck, ask and network from

Central Florida Speaker Inc.
www.centralfloridaspeaker.com
4463 Park Breeze Court,
Orlando,
Florida 32808
407-423-3566

or some other Bozak or Advent recone/rebuilder, from what I've heard they can cope with a KEF loudspeaker in kit form Very Happy .

Quote:
Is the replacement tweeter the same type that will fit in the woofer where the dust cap would normally be?

Yup!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after braving the confines of the loft sadly only these units were found.

B160 SP1395 Bass (No UniQ Tweeter).
B160 SP1377 Mid with tweeter (unknown).
UniQ Tweeter SP1446
UniQ Tweeter SP1367

Sorry, for the time being nothing to match yours... Crying or Very sad
chasw98
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski:
I really appreciate you looking for me. Thank you. In the end I have 2 fully functioning 101's and 1 spare fully functioning 101 and the last 101 has a weak tweeter and a broken woofer. I only use 2 of them but it would be nice to keep them all repaired and working. I will just keep my eye out for a B160 woofer. On the other hand, maybe it is time to let them retire to the old speaker farm! Thanks, again.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: