SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vintage cd player

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: vintage cd player Reply with quote

The nostalgia has become too much. KEFs, my Oracle, my vinyl now....

I bought a Denon DCD 1500 MKII for a good price on the weekend. It was considered a very good unit--- in 1988. CD players have improved since then, but how much? I really can't afford the $$$ for a new Arcam or Rega, or----Naim

I took a damaged Marian McPartland Concord CD with me that had a track that wouldn't play on my Nakamichi MB2.

The Denon read it and didn't skip, albeit with minor noise. It found the tracks very very quickly and was able to switch tracks faster than anything I have seen.

It still does have good sound after all these years.

It is built. Extra dampening on the top of the cabinet. Four power supplies. Total weight around 8 or 9 Kilos. 2 digital outs 2 analogue outs. Burr Brown DAC chips. AB repeat feature, which is great for someone who uses it for playalongs MMO, or lifting songs. Don't find that any more.

Still sounds very good against the Nak. Less high end than the Nak, less air, but much tighter bass and better dynamics. Certain trade-offs here.

Here is the weird part. It just won't read certain CDs. Others it takes seconds to read the toc and you are ready to go. After I let my frustration settle I had a look at the unplayable disks. They were all SACD or HDCDs.

I burned copies of the unplayable disks and the CDRs play flawlessly.

I called Denon service here and asked them about it and they said that because of the age, it could not read either SACD or HDCD disks.

I guess I will just keep burning. A word to the wise--one guys folly.

Anybody ever run up against this problem or are you all running current equipment?

David Embarassed
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Denon into my local repair shop and they found a small mechanical problem in the transport. Just over an hours labour and small parts to fix.

Anybody using a separate DAC with a transport? I am considering getting one.

David
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a DAC with a CD player. Does that count?

A Sony 775 SACD player with an Assembleage 1.5 DAC. Tames the "digititis" right out of redbook CDs. Smile
Jb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: cd player Reply with quote

Cool I have a marrantz cd-63se,thats as smooth as butter,marrantzs new model the5400,is supposed to be designed with the sound of the 63 .Has anyone heard it?thanks,jb
adam_audio
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried "audiophile" players by NAD, Meridian, Jolida, Quad, Rega, Shanling, Heart, Marantz, Music Hall, and California Audio Labs in my system and I've finally settled on a cheap 1986 vintage player I came across by accident. Though it doesn't have quite the resolution of some of the other modern players, it exceeds them all in liquidity, natural tone, and lack of brightness. It is the most analog sounding, least offensive of the bunch and it cost me $5. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is true of all vintage cd players. Most of them are horrid. I just happened to find the right one. I'm sorry, but I really don't want to reveal the model. Currently you can buy them on ebay for $15 and I'd like to keep it that way. Wink

I would someday like to try a Naim cd player. That would probably be my final attempt at spending any money on a digital device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: