SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW LAMPS FOR OLD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: NEW LAMPS FOR OLD Reply with quote

If you look in the DIY section you will see I am attempting to convert my 104aB(s) into large 3-way sealed units. I have sourced the additional mid-range units from WA - Monacor SP135AD (I think) said to be the perfect replacement for the B110.

However, at the risk of becoming a purist (oh I do hope not) I was wondering if there was any kindly uncle Abanaazar out there with a couple of spare B110's (any SP....) at a sensible (NOT ebay) sort of price.

Well you can't get shot for asking, can you?

Regards
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW LAMPS FOR OLD Reply with quote

Gosh, sounds like you are having fun and all the best to you!
Keep us informed with the progress made.
Sadly no spare B110s here at the moment…

Stuart Booth wrote:
If you look in the DIY section you will see I am attempting to convert my 104aB(s) into large 3-way sealed units. I have sourced the additional mid-range units from WA - Monacor SP135AD (I think) said to be the perfect replacement for the B110.

However, at the risk of becoming a purist (oh I do hope not) I was wondering if there was any kindly uncle Abanaazar out there with a couple of spare B110's (any SP....) at a sensible (NOT ebay) sort of price.

Well you can't get shot for asking, can you?

Regards
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: B110 replecements Reply with quote

Andy,

sent you a pm but has not appeared in my sent box so possibly lost in the ether.

Re my 104aB conversion, I had sourced the Monacor sph-135ad and Colin has offered me a pair of Dalesford D153. You have at times rubbished both these units - why?

I would gladly use B110's if I could find any - I've waited 50yrs to do this project and I don't want to put it off on the off chance of maybe finding a pair of sensibly priced B110's.

Kind regards

Stu
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: B110 replecements Reply with quote

Gosh, did I rubbish them that much?

Many years ago when Western Audio Research (WAR) ceased trading I was given for silly money lots of various drive units. Many of the WAR designs used Dalesford drive units.

Some had been used in commercial designs others probably pending inclusion into new research and developments.

I used many, sold a lot and stored the rest in my loft with all the other drivers. I jokingly call it my Hi Fi Museum...

Over a period of time (years) I noticed that the damping layer was detaching itself from the bextrene cones on many of the Dalesford units but only on one KEF speaker, a B110A.
The temperature variations in my attic are horrendous and probably the worst place to store loudspeakers but space is scarce downstairs due to er, more loudspeakers…
Wink Build quality is not as good as KEFs and one or two magnets have either become misaligned or moved. I prefer the sound of the Dalesford to that of the Monacor by the way, it is much sweeter. Although I’ll bet that the Monacor would measure better and have a superior transient response.

That is it in the main it, many of my friends are still happily using Dalesford based loudspeakers and I am still trying to or sell a pair using 12” Dalesford bass and some exotic mid-range with a cheap Audax tweeter.
These used to be my rear channel units till I build the TLs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: