SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 107 Crossover

View previous topic :: View next topic  
realbas
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Kef 107 Crossover Reply with quote

Hi,iam a happy man,today i found this forum,Thank you Good i'am not allone,a forum only about my beloved Kef speakers.
I wout like to try out a new not Kef tweeter on my 107.is inhere anyone hwo knows the specs of the crossover in tweeter and middeltone on these monuments of music,my 107 Reference is the one where the tweeter is 4 ohm and model nr is T33 sp 1210.it would be nice if anyone was able too help me out.
Sorry for my english a'am from Denmark,so please give me a break
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If you need a replacement then ebay is the only place left with 4ohm T33s,
If you are wanting to improve what was the weakest area of the Kef 107 (its treble) then finding a treble unit that fits the cutout will probably be the most difficult.

Has anyone in the forum got any spec sheets on the K107 T33's ?

I would like to compair the Focal treble specs with the T33 myself, but finding the info on these is proving difficult.

I would personaly look for a fabric dome unit which is as close a match as possible to the Kef unit.
The metal dome was deemed poorer than the fabric T33 by some dealers, I wouldnt mind trying a better replacement for the 4ohm T33 myself.

The midrange of the 107 is rated by some to be the equal of the Spendor BC1 and LS3/5a designs so you want to keep the midrange as original as possible, Harbeth made the last suitable 4ohm replacement for these.

Changing the upper crossover and treble mid units is going to dramaticaly alter the sound of these and changing the mid could also upset the bass balance, its also worth noting that the kube has some influence on the crossover.

Steve
realbas
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: KEF 107 T33 4ohm improvement. Reply with quote

Hello Parts,i found out that the crossover of the 107 in tweeter area is 3000.it was not too get other T33's but as you say the weak area in 107 is the somewhat lean low and lazy,not very sparkling treble,and in a monument of music like the 107 is this a shame,lighten up.
After i found out that the crossover of the tweeter was 3000 i tryed out something crasy,i borrowed a pair of Bohlender-Graebener NEO 3 PDR i,this is a wery cheap tweeter(about 30 usd a piese)and it comes whit a Faceplate and a bagplate that has too go(they ruins the freq,and sound).
After AAAA LOOT of trying out difrent plasements and mountings(whitout changing anything in "thehead")i found a good mounting and sound of the tweeter,MY DEAR KEF 107 IS ENTERING THE ARENA AS CHAMPS,the whole speaker opend up,details tingeling clear,fabules clean sound,you can say that you finaly hear the true quality of the midrange as it no longer needs to drag the T33 around,you woudt think that a tweeter like this whoud bring metallic and harsh sound into the speaker,NO AND NO again,Now the speaker sounds like Raymond Cook wanted,is was just not possible at the time.If you dare too try you can write again so you can get my angle of how too,there is no changing of the speakers that can ont be reversed,You must try this out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: