SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auditioning other brands of speakers --Blasphemy !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Auditioning other brands of speakers --Blasphemy !!! Reply with quote

Due to the large size of the KEF 105.2, I was thinking of changing them to bookshelves or slim floorstanders, Not wanting to go to audio shops for fear of hearing something that would embarass my KEF, I finally bit the bug and went out to the audio stores. I listened to some models ranging from 300 USD to 800 USD Ushers and Dali brands. OH boy, my 25 year old KEF 105.2 is totally out of their league....their little league that is Smile. Anyways next weekend another session with floorstanding models from Accoustic Energy - the Evo 3
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, it's always fun to audition other speakers.

I listened to a pair of silver, 300 pound speakers once. They were unimpressive.

Then the guy told me they were $30,000.00 Canadian.

O M G ! ! !

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done quite a bit of listening to other speakers myself,
I think most of todays speakers are designed with what the manufacturer thinks is best, with forward treble and presence for instance.
I have not heard many modern neutral speakers, the old ways of having a neutral sound throughout the frequency range now seem to have been replaced with speakers that are either good in the treble,mid or bass with silly money needed to get the best intregation of all three with any sort of neutral coherant and even frequency responce.

I think the old BBC/Kef ways produced some excellent quality monitors, and these old boys are still very capable.
A basic service and rewire, and good support, is all they need to fight off the competition, sadly we cannot shrink them though.

I myself like Martin logans and the Big tannoys and ATC, but also like Full range which the above can lack.

Steve
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are oh so right here!

I cannot find the obsession these days with speakers which beam "accurate"? Treble and mid frequencies at you like a sonic laser with no bass. I'd rather compromise for a little colouration or whatever just to get the missing octaves. The rot started with the dreadful Celestion SL6!

Only today I helped resuscitate a pair of Wilmslow KEF CS7?!? For a home cinema enthusiast. I had frorgotten how good they can sound! Even in home theatre. They sure kept up with the rest which was sadly not KEF based, must take some pictures next visit.
qguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mentioned the SL6.. I love those babies (actually the Sl 6si)

[quote="proffski"]You are oh so right here!

I cannot find the obsession these days with speakers which beam "accurate"? Treble and mid frequencies at you like a sonic laser with no bass. I'd rather compromise for a little colouration or whatever just to get the missing octaves. The rot started with the dreadful Celestion SL6!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought the 1st generation Philips 1st CD player it was auditioned with the SL6 or whatever at the end of the chain. They sounded real bad!
I bought the player anyway and connected it to my just finished KEF/Decca Ribbon TLs. What followed was sheer bliss. I then rang Audio T to tell them as to what I thought of the Celestion Strangle Boxes. Strange world...
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts wrote:
I think most of todays speakers are designed with what the manufacturer thinks is best, with forward treble and presence for instance.

I've noticed this, too. To my (ancient) ears, a metallic tweeter just hurts!!
qguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the Acoustic Energy Aelite 2 (it was 100 USD over budget) and this is something that I could live with, there are tradeoff as the Aelite 2 is a bookshelves but it was one of the few loudpeakers that I actually listened to the whole song...I did not bother to listen to the AELITE 3, floorstanders with 2 6.5 inch woofers, 5.5 mids and tweets, as there were twice the price of the Aelite 2 (argh.. those should really sing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: