SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 105.2 head assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Kef 105.2 head assembly Reply with quote

Hi,

I think I already know the answer to this but here goes,

Can the Kef 105.2 head assembly (which uses the T52), also be fitted with a T33 treble unit ?

Is the treble faceplate on the 105.2 head assembly fixed ? or removable ?

I assume the hole is too large for a T33, and of course the bolt holes are different, I have not been able to work this out from the pictures I have seen, and was hoping to find a replacement pair of nice condition 105.4 head assemblys for use in a pair of 105.4 i intend to refurbish.

Thankyou
Regards
Steve
ColinR
▄ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I already know the answer to this

Need I go on Smile ?

The T52 SP1049 is bolted to a dÚcor plate which is in turn held by the corner bolts.

If a T33 doesn't fit in this void, I'd be very surprised, as the front "head" injection moulding would be expensive to make and having varients more so.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Collin,

I couldnt notice any corner bolts on the 105.2 head assembly, just four bolts for the bare T52 chassis ?

Steve
ColinR
▄ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start again Shocked .

The dÚcor plate is held by the same four set screws that hold the T52 SP1049 in place.

These screws go into plastic rods with threaded brass inserts.

The pitch of these plastic fixings is 10mm less than you require to "bolt in" a T33, however they would provide an "interference fit" on the magnet.

So you'd just have to get the silicone sealant out or make some fishplates, if you want to play with nuts and bolts Very Happy .
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well I will find out if I can fit these next week, they will be posted to me on monday.

I suppose I could always modifie the 105.4 crossover to use the T52 treble unit if need be ?

I have not had much experience with the T52 versus the T33 ?

Steve
ColinR
▄ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suppose I could always modifie the 105.4 crossover to use the T52 treble unit

Might be easy, might be hard, as I've no 105-4 schematics to compare my two 105-2 crossover varients to, but having seen a 105-4 board once, it did look as if the B110B and T33 were each padded down by a couple of resistors to match the efficiency of the bass units. This, i.m.h.o. is where you'll have the technical problems, sonically the T33 is brighter than the T52, so you may not like the sound of the resulting beast.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin,

I have all the parts for the 105.4, Its just that the old heads and bass cabs are painted black Mad They have had a bit of a hard life.

I have a another pair of bass cabs but they have had a knock to the rear corner of each, will have to come up with some sort of cover for the corner.

They will also need some mods carried out, I usually paint the inside of the cab and bottom skirt with a couple of coats of wood glue and fit a 1" plywood plinth with spikes, filling the bottom gap with either concrete or sand.

DNM banana or Mitchell sockets for single wire speaker connection, Neutrick speakon 4 pole connectors for head cable (s-stop removed), rewired with Chord odyssey, sealant on all drivers (like old Linns) to make sure all is air tight, and fit a later T33 front panel (like the 107 uses).

Im sure it will all work out, though I could always sand nd repaint the old heads and bass cabs if it doesn't.

The T52 was just an after thought.

Steve
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI all,

I got the 105.2 heads, condition is OK not perferct but will suit the average - condition of the replacement 105.4 bodies I have.

The only difference is the tweeter fittings, the 105.2 and 105.4 heads are identical apart from where the brass threaded inserts are fitted, the the provision is there for placement in either location.

Now all I need is to find replacement brass inserts which I can bond in.

Does anyone know of where I can source these ?

Steve
ColinR
▄ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some hexagonal stand offs and brass bushes here.

http://www.greenweld.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Hardware_209.html

http://wireinserts.com and the like will only supply in multiples of 500+.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: