SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Cadenza SP1024

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacBryce
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: KEF Cadenza SP1024 Reply with quote

Hello, everybody.

My father-in-law brought along a pair of KEF Cadenza SP1024's from his attic. They were as dusty as a sandstorm, but they're looking fine now after some cleaning. Only one problem remains... How do I hook these babies up to the audio system? So much for knich cables or those electric wires as seen on the video below.

http://users.telenet.be/macbryce/KEF.wmv
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That grey combo panel was fairly standard on a lot of early 70s KEF speakers. The outer two 4mm (banana) sockets are in parallel with the integral moulded DIN speaker socket which is between the two 4mm sockets.

You can use either but if you're making up your own DIN speaker plug leads, be very, very careful with the soldering as the two pins, one round + one flat, are very close together. A wire or solder whisker between the two could fry your amplifier. Only someone who is good at soldering should attempt it , Aslo use some heatshrink sleeving to be sure.

You have been warned.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm I cannot tell whether they're poncy connections or crocodiles, as your images are far too dark.

So, get a strip of 5 Amp chocolate block connectors, two foot of 5 Amp lighting flex and four bannana plugs from Maplin or your favourite electronics shop.

Cut your poncy wires 6" before the speakers and insert two elements of chocolate block and wire up a foot length of the 5 Amp cable to which you've attached the bannana plugs.

Look up on the "Internurd" for references to loudspeaker phasing.

If you or your amplifier doesn't like the Cadenzas, or they're knackered, you can use the chocolate block to reconnect your poncy speaker connectors.

If you're photographing crocodile (sprig-clip) connectors use longer lengths of 5 Amp lighting flex to power the KEFs.

I'm not suggesting any form of speaker cable as the images seem to indicate a degree of "smallness" and 5 Amp flex is far better than any of the thin cheap and nasty grey stuff that's around.
MacBryce
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, guys. I'll check it out. I'll look for a soldering pro and get to the electronics store.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: