SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Loudspeakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marantzguy
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: KEF Loudspeakers Reply with quote

Smile

Hi:

I own two individual sets of KEF Calinda loudspeakers, manufactured in the mid-to-late 1970's. One set is finished in teak and the other one is in walnut veneer, which I have restored. I believe that these fine speakers were the first that KEF produced using computer-derived matched parameters.

I acquired my first set in a flea market 18 years ago and I have loved them ever since. For a two-way design (with passive radiator), they are awesome sounding on nearly all program material. Currently, I use them specifically to monitor location recordings I make of choral, symphonic and jazz music.

In the teak set, I installed a fixed wooden dowel between the front speaker baffle board and the rear panel, a modification recommended to me many years ago. The result was deeper fundamental bass reproduction. I also have these speakers up on custom-made wooden stands, so they are elevated off the floor by perhaps 11".

I just love the KEF Calinda and one day hope that I can find a pair of the larger Cantatas for as little as I paid for these.

(The teak set cost me $20 a pair and the walnut ones were found at a Salvation Army in my area for $68 the pair).

How about that for a bargain?

Rich Links
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Rich
In 1976 I made a pair of KEFKIT3 (T27, B110, B139) - basically the original Concerto. I am still using them as my main speakers although I have upgraded them a bit with new crossovers, internal wiring, spikes and new scanspeak tweeters.
I also have Cadenzas (T27, B200, BD139), Chorales (T27, B200), and Cantor - 2 pairs - (T27, B200) which I occasionally connect up to my cinema system in various configurations.
I am also threatening to purchase a pair of the original K2 Celestes.
Terry
Marantzguy
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Kef Calinda stuff and more Reply with quote

Thanks, Terry!

Nice speakers!

At one time, I was very temped to changeout the components in the crossovers and was sort of "warned" by friends that it might not be a good idea to do this, because according to the "experts", the parts were matched within a tolerance of 2%.

Do you know if this is necessarily true?

The speakers are at least 25 years old now, I would guess.

I just think that they are really great. Someone else once told me that it is often a good idea to rotate the larger drivers 180 degrees in order to prevent any suspension "sag" which might set in.

Ever heard of that procedure?

I use my KEF's primarily with vintage (but restored) Marantz tube gear.

Rich Links
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kef Calinda stuff and more Reply with quote

Marantzguy wrote:
At one time, I was very temped to changeout the components in the crossovers and was sort of "warned" by friends that it might not be a good idea to do this, because according to the "experts", the parts were matched within a tolerance of 2%.

Do you know if this is necessarily true?

The speakers are at least 25 years old now, I would guess.

I suspect that it is true but I cannot confirm with certainty. The reason I replaced the crossover was to obtain higher quality components than were in the original board. Also just to renew any in which degradation through age might be an issue. I am not really sure how much difference this change made as I was also making other changes at the same time including adding spikes and new tweeters.

Marantzguy wrote:
Someone else once told me that it is often a good idea to rotate the larger drivers 180 degrees in order to prevent any suspension "sag" which might set in.

I haven't heard of this before but I can imagine that it might be true with some speaker drive units - perhaps paper coned. I suspect however that by the time this happens the drive units are suspect anyway.

Terry
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF Loudspeakers Reply with quote

Marantzguy wrote:
In the teak set, I installed a fixed wooden dowel between the front speaker baffle board and the rear panel, a modification recommended to me many years ago. The result was deeper fundamental bass reproduction. I also have these speakers up on custom-made wooden stands, so they are elevated off the floor by perhaps 11".

Rich

I haven't heard of this either. Do you mean that you have a dowel which runs from the front of the speaker right through to the back? Where have you actually installed this (top)?

Terry
Marantzguy
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: KEF Calinda modification Reply with quote

Hi, Terry:

You asked where the dowel had been placed. I believe that the "post" (as in violin making jargon) was inserted somewhere either above the center of the front baffle or below center (in the vertical plane, of course).

Rich Links
b3rtie
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: dowel Reply with quote

My (1968?) Concertos have a bar threaded to the B139s magnet and locked to the rear panel with a nut tightened from the exterior at the rear. Is this standard? My friends 1974 Concertos do not have this feature.

If so any idea how tight to get it?
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: dowel Reply with quote

b3rtie wrote:
My (1968?) Concertos have a bar threaded to the B139s magnet and locked to the rear panel with a nut tightened from the exterior at the rear. Is this standard? My friends 1974 Concertos do not have this feature.

If so any idea how tight to get it?

The KEFKIT3 plans encouraged such a connection with the rear wall. My KEFKIT3 (1976) has that arrangement.

Have your Concertos got the B139 6171 (330 X 240) with bare metal chassis or have they got the B139 SP1044 (300 X 210) with a narrower chassis than 6171 and chassis painted black. I supect yours are the 6171s and your friend's the 1044. Are there not other changes in dimensions or construction which obviate the ned for the bar?

With regard to tightness I wouldn't worry about tightening it too much. The only concern is to hold the B110 enclosure secure.
b3rtie
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B139s are the no-painted type. Thanks for your help.

R
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for being off topic.

I have a few blueprints and service manuals for some more modern KEF loudspeakers.

If anybody needs any help contact me using "Private Mail".
I'd be more than happy to scan them and send them as PDF files,or even on CDs if the end result is too big.
The paper is a bit tatty but should scan ok.

Have one or two (SHAME ON YOU KEF) from the new KEF factory in China.

The 'Da Ling Shan Lightion Electronic Company' Could not find anything on Google about them...

Raymond Cooke is not turning in his grave, he has clawed his way out and running away screaming!
raedididi
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: KEF Calindas, Type SP 1053, 8 ohms Reply with quote

Sorry to be off topic here, but am looking to get these repaired as close to home as possible, north east British Columbia, Canada. Is it possible? I do not know how to repair them, what to look for or anything. Is it worthwhile for me, a music ignoramus, except for buying my KEFs new in 1978 to try to get them fixed? I need the connections tightened and I think there are problems with the inside components/speakers. Do I need to get hold of old parts?

Thanks.

raedididi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: