SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Calinda vs. C-80?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: KEF Calinda vs. C-80? Reply with quote

hi all,

i'm sure this is a dumb question for KEF-o-philes, but how do these two speakers compare?

the C80 is a 1980's design with the T33 tweeter. is the B139 active or passive in this model?

how does it compare to the Calindas in sound quality, materials and craftsmanship?

i'm sure they are totally different speaker, but they look so similar.

thanks,
Robby
Craigb
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robby - My personal opinion...

The C80 has a B139 driver not bass radiator plus the 160 midrange. They are a 4ohm design and (well at least mine have) three binding posts so that I assume you can drive 4 ohms from a standard Amp by attaching both the A and B speaker outputs. Their claimed power handling is somewhat more than the Calindas which use the T27 B200 sp1054 and the BD139 passive radiator.

As to comparison that is totally in the ear and mind of the listener.

I love my Calindas and have two sets for the home theatre which I think work really well and means the subwoofer gets turned on only rarely and even then at low output and lower crossover setting.

The C80s are a restoration project so have not had much chance to show their wares lately - but I remember them to be very pleasurable although quite different from models of the 60 and 70s.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

thanks for you response. i'd be curious to hear your evaluation after you finish restoring the C-80s.

over all, what's the difference in sound between the 1970's KEFs and the 1980's KEFs?

i do dig my calindas. i'm powering them with a pair of vintage McIntosh MC-60 tube monoblocks with a Precision Fidelity C-4 tube preamp. they sound awesome. i augment a little extra bass from a B&W ASW-500 powered subwoofer.

currently looking into stands to raise them up about 5-6 inches. a touch too low with my current listening pposition.

see ya,
Robby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: