SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Griffin Loudspeakers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
django
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Griffin Loudspeakers Reply with quote

Hi,
Does anyone have information on the range of Griffin loudspeakers that were produced in the late 1970's?
I believe the company used to be based in West Bromwich area of Birmingham.
The speakers I have came from a small dealer in Aldridge, Walsall, West Midlands.

Aparently there were 3 or 4 differing size speakers in the range.

I have a pair of Griffin 27's.
The tweeters need replacement in both speakers.
I cannot identify the units, they are 75mm dia all metal with a clear plastic cones. There are no labels or numbers apparent anywhere.
The Mid range units look home-made, no idea what they are.
Bass units are our old favourites B200.

The Crossover unit is also faulty in one speaker, one of the coils in the bass crossover has burnt windings. I need to identify a replacement coil or a complete new pair of crossover units.

Can anyone help or enlighten me?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone have information on the range of Griffin loudspeakers that were produced in the late 1970's

No, apart from they were in Station Road, West Brom.

They made a big active speaker using a KEF B139A and Celestion MF500 and HF2000.

Other speaker's drive units looked like Peerless but were probably Elac units.

The tweeter you speak of was common to the smaller two way designs, but I've no idea who made them.

Graham Hartle - the JR 149 man, might have some additional information, as we discussed Griffin at the NVCF a couple of years ago and the existance of Griffin Audio just down the Bristol Road from the Discery in Brum, same shop and name, but they sell high margin kit now.

You'll have to make a trip up to Stafford to visit my LCR meter or make friends with someone at Peevey.

Last edited by ColinR on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
django
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Griffin Speaker Reply with quote

Colin,
Many thanks for your reply.
Yes I know of Griffin Audio in B'ham. I visited them and asked about Griffin speakers quite some time ago. The guy there was very polite but explained they had no association with Griffin in West Bromwich.
is Graham Hartle a member of the Forum?
Sorry for asking; this Forum is new to me.
Also you mention I should take a 'trip up to Stafford to visit my LCR meter or make friends with someone at Peevey'.
I presume you mean to bring my faulty unit to you for checking/measurement.
Can you enlighten me on the mention of Peevey?
I have use of an LCR meter at work, I'm involved with computer display repair.
Are you aware of any other 75mm tweeter?
Regards Nick M
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is Graham Hartle a member of the Forum

No, just follow the bottom link middle column from the "Links" page.

As you have access to an LCR meter you've no need to visit Stafford or "make friends with someone" at Peevey, who also have LCR meters.

Sometimes it can be useful knowing someone "local" (in Stourbridge), who works with professional kit, they may be able to "recentre" your B139A.

Right as you have the kit, draw out the circuit diagram and measure the inductors on the "good" crossover.

Go to Birmingham Library and find a Hi-fi Yearbook with the specifications of your speakers, note down the crossover frequencies and speakers' sensitivity.

Otherwise play around with Internet crossover frequency calculators (usually found on car audio sites), until your measured values (within ~10%) appear as solutions for a particular frequency.

Having the mid-treble crossover frequency and speaker sensitivity have a look at what's available then join diyaudio.com or some other home constructor site to see how "those in the know" combine disparate drive units.

Regarding 75mm diameter drivers, I've no idea as the only other "good 'uns" in my bits box are out of Castle Kendals ~ 80mm in size.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRIFFIN Loudspeakers.

All sizes approximate.

15C Reflex
Kef B110 + STC 4001 C/O 5.4kHz.
FR. 55Hz-18kHz!
Sens. 96dB
Cylindrical cabinet 11.5" daiameter.
Brown Leather Finish.

15 As 15C except...
48Hz 18kHz +/- 4dB
No reason or alternative description sent as yet...

25 Reflex
KEF B200 modified & KEF T15 also MODIFIED & STC 40001G
C/O 1.8kHz / 5.8kHz.
Sens. 96dB
F/S No Details...
19" X 11" X 10"
23lb

Twin Port Reflex.
Units as for 25.
C/O 1.8kHz & 6.2kHz
FR 30Hz to 25kHz +/- 3dB
35lb
£122 in 1975

Tandem Line (Patented).
Modified KEF B200 Infra-Bass!?!
B139 Bass
Celestion HF 500 OR Griffin Titanium Dome 2" Unit!?!
STC 40019?!?
Active Crossover.
32"X13"X12".
110lb.
£436 pair in 1975.

Now the bombshell, I know a chap in Swindon with a Griffin turntable based on a Garrard unit, any takers? Yes it RUMBLES!

Last edited by proffski on Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm on holiday Very Happy , I still have some "issues" Confused .

django wrote :
Quote:
The Mid range units look home-made, no idea what they are

profiski wrote :
Quote:
25 Reflex / 27 Twin Port Reflex modified KEF B200 & KEF T15 & STC 4001G

So what does this "home-made" unit look like, an Elac unit?

If it's not a T15 with a "bad paint job" our original poster has either been taken for a turkey or the 25/27 design was latterly changed. The date code off the B200 would be useful in this respect.

ITT/STC/Coles 4001G's are freely available. Usually none-functioning ones off ePay and working ones @£18 each plus postage from Falcon Acoustics.

Last edited by ColinR on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is still on the T15...

ColinR wrote:
Although I'm on holiday Very Happy , I still have some "issues" Confused .

django wrote :
Quote:
The Mid range units look home-made, no idea what they are

profiski wrote :
Quote:
25 Reflex / 27 Twin Port Reflex modified KEF B200 & KEF T15 & STC 4001G

So what does this "home-made" unit look like, an Elac unit?

If it's not a T15 with a "bad paint job" our original poster has either been taken for a turkey or the 25/27 design was latterly changed. The date code off the B200 would be useful in this respect.

ITT/STC/Coles 4001G's are freely available. Usually none-functioning ones off ePay and working ones @£18 each plus postage from Falcon Acoustics.
django
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Griffin 27 Reply with quote

Hi,
Many thanks for all the very useful info.
The HF tweeters do seem to be one of the STC/Coles 4001 variants.
I've just seen very similar units advertised as KEF tweeters on e-bay.
Item number: 9734156976.

Thanks for the info about Falcon keeping stock of these units.

I'll have to dig in and dismantle the good crossover to give me a starting point with inductance values in order to repair the faulty one I have.
The capacitors used are all 'Jensen' 3.5UF 250vac wkg.
They are the type that are fastened down with two screws to the speaker frame. Five capacitors and the crossover pcb screwed down doesn't leave much room on the lower area of the speaker back for much else other than the screw connectors.

I'll look at the B200 and reply with the date code to see if that determines the drivers used for a certain year.
The speakers are very well built internally with struts side to side and back to front to offer rigidity.

With Regard to the MF units, they seem different to KEF T15's.
How do I go about posting pics of said Griffin 27 Drivers etc. for you to see and comment on?
Is this something best done in the Members area?

Many Thanks
Nick Mellor
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Griffin 27 Reply with quote

Out of sheer curiosity I'd love to see the MF units! Surprised
greg
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this old thread. I've been looking all over for information on Griffin. Here are some pictures of my uncle's setup:

The tonearm is believed to be constructed partly using carbon fibre:

Cartridges are Micro-Acoustics, as originally recommended by Griffin. We have various 2002, 3002 and 630 carts (some used but mostly new old stock):

Griffin G82 integrated amp (used only as a pre-amp) into Griffin Studio Electronic 85 active floorstanders:

greg
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the active Studio Electronic 85s, the tweeters are 2x Coles 4001, 8ohm, wired in parallel. There are two 8ohm KEF B139 bass units believed to be wired in parallel and mounted in an isobaric configuration.

We haven't removed the midrange drivers yet so I'm not sure what they are. You will probably know better than me.

We also have two pairs of Griffin's "Phoenix" passive bookshelf speakers, which I don't have photos of. We did back to back tests and found that we much preferred the sound of Gainclone chip amps through the Phoenix speakers over the sound of the original transistor amp in the G82, which is based on TIP2955/TIP3055 transistors. The speakers are active and each include 3 of the same amp circuit for bass/mid/high.

The power amp circuits in one of the active speakers have started to give us big problems, burning out various components and blowing fuses.

We've decided that we'd like to try Gainclones in the loudspeakers with passive crossovers. I already have some good Gainclone monoblocks which will fit nicely but we'll have to design the crossovers. I would be very very grateful if anyone could suggest a starting point. I will, of course, try to find out the details of the midrange driver and any other necessary information.

Thanks

Greg
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice one!
2N3055s a bit dated and slow, replace the amps!

Gosh this is Déjà Vu to say the least.
Indeed the Griffin 85 used the Isobaric loading technique which was patented as was Linns... Hmm!
As mentioned before, the 85 used twin B139s Celestion HF 500 or Griffin Titanium Dome 2" unit as well as the STC40019s.
A big jump from the B139 without the ubiquitous B110! Shocked
greg
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:

Tandem Line (Patented).
Modified KEF B200 Infra-Bass!?!
B139 Bass
Celestion HF 500 OR Griffin Titanium Dome 2" Unit!?!
STC 40019?!?
Active Crossover.
32"X13"X12".
110lb.
£436 pair in 1975.

"STC 40019" should presumably read "4001G".

I can't find any info on the HF500 - does the driver in the photo look like a Celestion driver or Griffin's own? (Edit: I see from further up the thread that this should be MF500...)

Can you explain what you mean by the B200 infra-bass?

I have no info on the original active crossover as yet. For what it's worth, the EQ controls on the rear of the 85s are marked as follows:

Bass: 15Hz - 700Hz
Mid: 700Hz - 6KHz
High: 5KHz - 30KHz

proffski wrote:
Now the bombshell, I know a chap in Swindon with a Griffin turntable based on a Garrard unit, any takers? Yes it RUMBLES!

Is the turntable you refer to similar to the one pictured above? Any info on the original Garrard unit?

Any further information you have would be excellent.

Thanks

Greg

Last edited by greg on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:58 am; edited 2 times in total
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know about the Griffin is what I have in the form of books here.
I thought it strange that a B200 being used as Infra Bass with a B139, it may have been heavily modified or the information could be wrong…
The frequencies quoted offer such a huge range that they frankly puzzle me.
I'm sure that the other chaps longer established may well have a more coherent idea as to what is going on.

The turntable is nothing like the one we left at Swindon; it was much deeper with almost a three tier wedding cake type plinth and very heavy.
I cannot remember what the arm was.
On Tuesday I'll go through all my notes and books and with luck come back with some sensible answers.
Thank you for an overwhelmingly interesting set of pictures, have you looked inside the bass chamber?
Lovely archive stuff shame there was not more KEF in it though.

Cheers from a damp Tewkesbury.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Griffin Loudspeakers Reply with quote

The 27s were similar to the 25s but used different bass drivers and a slightly different crossover frequency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: