SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil caps for KEF Calindas? or leave them alone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: oil caps for KEF Calindas? or leave them alone? Reply with quote

Hi all,

been really enjoying the KEF Calindas i bought a few months ago. of course i can never leave well enough alone. currently I'm running them with a pair of McIntosh MC60 tube mono blocks and a precision fidelity C4 tube preamp with a little bass augmentation from a B&W ASW-500 powered subwoofer.

i know that the caps in the x-over are electrolytic. does anyone have the schematic they could send me?

i think it's got some huge 25uf cap in there. i have a source for really cheap ($4.00 for a 25uf) Mexican made motor run hermetically sealed oil caps. not audio note, but heck, they're 4 bucks! i was thinking if replacing the caps in the x-over with all oil caps. hopefully, it will mellow out the "spitty" nature of the T27 tweeter and make the B200 sound even better.

or leave well enough alone?

thanks,
Robby

Last edited by centaurus on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: oil caps for KEF Calindas? or leave them alone? Reply with quote

What have you to lose? Try it, or spend the rest of your life thinking about it. I loathe non polarised capacirors in anything!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the schematic is where I left it Cool.

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Crossovers/Calinda/CalindaCrossoverIndex.html

I'm not a fan of motor or valve capacitors in speakers, but as you're into "oil" just do one speaker component by component and see if it makes a difference.

Use only test tones, Pink and White noise for testing.

Music lets one fall into the psychoacoustic trap of well I've just spent loadsamoney on poncy caps and cryo crap wire and treated it with something that resists corrosion in an 80% Hydrogen Sulphide atmosphere, so it must sound better - it won't.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha!

i agree with you Colin. i have heard my friends MFA Magus C preamp with all REL Caps. did it sounds better? yes. was it worth the $300 for the caps? no way!

thanks for the schematic, you provide an incredible resource!

again, the motor run caps are cheap. about the same price as new solens. and i already have 4 unused 10uf!

how do i get to the x-over? through the B139, i suppose? will the woofer just pop or or is it glued in?

thanks,
Robby

ColinR wrote:
Well the schematic is where I left it Cool.

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Crossovers/Calinda/CalindaCrossoverIndex.html

I'm not a fan of motor or valve capacitors in speakers, but as you're into "oil" just do one speaker component by component and see if it makes a difference.

Use only test tones, Pink and White noise for testing.

Music lets one fall into the psychoacoustic trap of well I've just spent loadsamoney on poncy caps and cryo crap wire and treated it with something that resists corrosion in an 80% Hydrogen Sulphide atmosphere, so it must sound better - it won't.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with motor caps is that in any industrial application they're inspected and tested on a regular basis.
If they're put into a sealed box, "out of sight out of mind" something nasty may occur and I still wouldn't fancy scraping out the gunk having worked on Styrene Oxide and EO-PO plants, Hydrogen Peroxide and Carbon Disulphide / Hydrogen Sulphide plants Cool .

The crossover is by the input panel and is held by four sharp half inch captive (on the pcb) self tapping screws, so removing it requires some care.

I favour the wide end of steel nail file beteween the BD139B mounting hole and the wordwork and just gently easing out the ABR.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and very valid point.
Spoken like a true professional engineer Colin!
I'd also be interested in testing the capacitors for the Q as well as any interesting resonances.

As I have said before, try it and see, and I still hate Non Polarised Electrolytics!
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks colin!

i never thought about the potential of the motor cap to leak and the inability to see it leaking from inside the cabinet. other than popping the B139 every few years to check up on the caps.

the Calindas do sound awesome as they are right now (been listening to elliot smith and some roky erickson as i type).

i will try the motor caps on my other speakers. janszen Z-600 electrostatic hybrids from 1963 first.

Robby

ColinR wrote:
My problem with motor caps is that in any industrial application they're inspected and tested on a regular basis.
If they're put into a sealed box, "out of sight out of mind" something nasty may occur and I still wouldn't fancy scraping out the gunk having worked on Styrene Oxide and EO-PO plants, Hydrogen Peroxide and Carbon Disulphide / Hydrogen Sulphide plants Cool .

The crossover is by the input panel and is held by four sharp half inch captive (on the pcb) self tapping screws, so removing it requires some care.

I favour the wide end of steel nail file beteween the BD139B mounting hole and the wordwork and just gently easing out the ABR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: