SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almtb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

Just found this site but probably 2 years to late.

My Dad was big into DIY Hi-Fi in the 70's & 80's so I was brought up in a household with large transmission speakers and it wasn't unusual to find my Dad experimenting with stuffing!

When I got older I inherited a pair of DIY speakers off my brother (cheap 8" drive unit & T27). Unfortunately one of the T27s had blown so I upgraded the whole lot with Audax tweeters and B200 SP1039 (from my dad's stockpile of Kef drivers). These sealed enclosure speakers kept me going for 3 years and were good for both refined listening & waking the neighbours. Laughing

Feeling guilty about using my Dad's drivers and the desire to experiment I changed the enclosure into a low tuned reflex using cheap Audax drivers with good results.

These kept me going while I worked on my big project. A pair of transmission line speakers based around Audax 8" drive units (bigger versions of the IPL kits). Took me 6 months to finish both and have run them as my main speakers ever since. That Low Bass & Transient response still blows me away!

Anyway to get back onto the KEF subject I bought a pair of late 60's Concertos from a charity shop. Considering the vintage I was quite impressed by them but in my desire to experiment I stripped them apart to make a pair of LS3/5A clones (Falcon crossovers). While I liked the clones they never took the place of my TLs.

After a period of experimenting with amplifier design (ok I blew an amp up and had to fix it Mad ) and with other commitments & interests taking up my time I stopped building and modifying. I sold the LS3/5A clones but the TLs are still going strong.

Hope I haven't bored you too much!

Cheers,

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: