SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any mods avaiable for original KEF 104's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuarth
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Any mods avaiable for original KEF 104's? Reply with quote

I recently acquired a pair of original KEF 104's for £200. My system consists of a Classe CDP-10 CD payer, Classe CP-35 pre amp and Classe CA-101 power amp. I was previously using a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK 1's. I'm very impressed with the KEF's sound quality. They're a definite improvement over the Dynadio's - fuller, warmer and possibly slightly more detailed. My room is 24ft x 15 feet, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any mods which might improve the bass depth. I find the best overall balance with the speakers about 3.5 feet from the back and side walls.

Can they be bi-wired? What difference does the ab crossover make?
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for yoour interesting post. The Dynaudio Contour 1.8 is certainly a good speaker system and so to read that you prefer the 104s is music to the ears of all of us at this Forum.

The story of improvement offered by the 104aB is found in the pdf linked from this text. Advice about positioning is found in the pdf linked from this text.

I personally haven't owned 104s and so cannot contribute further to the discussion about positioning. Hopefully some 104 owner will see your post and help.

Now that you have 'discovered' vintage KEf speakers perhaps you should try to listen to a few more variations mentioned in the site. Also consider the diy variations. In my opinion the 'true' 3 drive unit KEF systems can offer more than the 104s and of course especially in the bass area. The 104 has of course an ABR.
Stuarth
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I think I'll put the Dynaudios on Ebay. I downloaded the PDF about the aB crossover circuit. If I knew the component values and the recommended types of capacitor etc. I'd get the soldering iron out and attempt to build a pair...
Almtb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out - http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Crossovers/104aB/KEF104aBcrossover.gif

When I had a DIY 104ab I used a 2.7mH First inductor for the bass section. In my experience this large inductor is used to combat the rising response of the B200 with a lower value inductor giving more midrange output.

As the first inductor is pretty high value then using an inductor with larger gauge wire (and even better air cored) will help efficiency and sound quality. Unfortunately a large air cored inductor won't be cheap.

Good luck.

Al
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: DIY MODIFICATIONS Reply with quote

This is where the 'techies' go and comit the noble Japanese act, but I live in a house, not in a perfectly symetrical anechoic chamber. I am not interested in theoretical infinitesimal improvements, but in real sound. I will however admit that the aB modification is a must.

Throw away the rubbish stands (if you've got them) put some hefty spikes in the bottom and stand them on a solid piece of hardwood or marble or even a paving slab. Sand them down and give them a couple of coats of yachting varnish - (a bit like a stradivarious, which I think has 12 or more coats.)

Then do something even more horrific - take out some of the foam - there's too much of it and it slows down the reaction of the ABR Believe me you will live with any boxiness and love the increased speed and tone of the bottom end, be it piano, double bass or bass guitar. Yes the box may resonate, but so do live instruments. Finally, if you want to be really daft, try putting a heavy slab of something on the top. I've done it and it works.
Stuarth
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. They're currently on spiked metal stands on a suspended wooden floor. I'll try slabs underneath, and I'll experiment with the amount of foam damping. As for inductors, I've seen 2.5mH air cored for around £16
Almtb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then do something even more horrific - take out some of the foam - there's too much of it and it slows down the reaction of the ABR Believe me you will live with any boxiness and love the increased speed and tone of the bottom end, be it piano, double bass or bass guitar. Yes the box may resonate, but so do live instruments. Finally, if you want to be really daft, try putting a heavy slab of something on the top. I've done it and it works.

Even better lose the ABR and enjoy the much tighter & faster bass of a sealed box! Very Happy

Concrete paving slabs under the speaker would be a good idea.

Later

Al
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go the whole hog?

Flog the 104's Shocked and get a pair of Reference 103's Cool .
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Too easy and bass too fast! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: