SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renovation/upgrade of Kef Reference two Crossovers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bramdo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Renovation/upgrade of Kef Reference two Crossovers Reply with quote

Dear all,

thank you for taking the time to read my first post.
I do own a kef reference system that I could purchase years ago at a bargain price. The front speakers do consist of the kef reference two from the 90's: Here you will find kef ref 2 specs http://users.skynet.be/bramdo/Bram/hifi.html.

Over the years the levels of detail are decreasing and due to budget limitations (two kids, that helps Very Happy ) I would like to follow the advice of some people to upgrade some components on the crossovers .
Some sources mention in particular that an upgrade to polyprop capacitors will do some good.

Now, I have quite some friends who can solder and know something of electronics but this is the crossover ...
.... so where do we start

thank to all of you with any advice
Bram
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you've got bigger problems.

The progressive "loss in detail" indicates that the Ferrofluid in your tweeters has turned into a wax.

This has been delt with before in other post and is not repairable.

Ring up KEF about replacement tweeters and ask your electronically minder friends about adding an L-pad if you find that you don't like the sound of the replacement.

For any computer "techies" the >1mB crossover image took 16 minutes to load here in dial-up only land.
bramdo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the reply and sorry for the image, in broadband times we tend to forget slower connections which is not very thoughtfull of me Embarassed

kind regards
Bram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: