SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 104/2 or KEF Calinda - I have to choose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: KEF 104/2 or KEF Calinda - I have to choose Reply with quote

Hi all,

been a while since i've posted here. my addiction to buying speakers has not subsided as of late. lately i bought a big pair of JansZen electrostatic hybrids fom 1958 and a pair of Thiel 03A that work, but need cosmetic restoration (only paid $60 USD for them!).

anyway, i have the option of trading a pair of my speakers (none of the above listed) for a pair of black ash KEF 104/2. not like i need any more speakers, but i am intrigued by the offer. as of now, i have 5 pairs of speakers (one pair is sold, but not picked up). i can't keep all of them or my marriage will surely suffer Wink

so, i would have to choose between the 104/2 or the Calindas. i suspect the 104/2 would sound better than the Calindas. which is not a bad thing. my friend would buy my Calindas in a heart beat. so, i still get to sort of "keep them in the family."

so, the question is, which do you all prefer? the 104/2 or the Calindas?

thanks,
Robby
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ref 104-2's are nice speakers but their good sound does come at a price.

So don't forget to cost in the price of refoaming the bass units with a good technician who can rebuild a foam donut and who can also handle ferrofluid tweeter rebuilds, otherwise you'll be joining an ePay competition for potentially working parts at some time in the future.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Colin!

yeah, i've thought about the woofer foam, but forgot about the hardening of the fluid.

it's okay though. i'm trading my beloved Bozak 302A Urbans for them. they are just too big for our place and the guy wants to start a vintage system. so everyone wins.

what do you think sounds better when properly working? the 104/2 or the Calindas? or both have their merits?

dangit, speakers are like children, you just can't give them up Wink i love my Thiels, my JansZens, my Calindas...

thanks,
Robby

ColinR wrote:

So don't forget to cost in the price of refoaming the bass units with a good technician who can rebuild a foam donut and who can also handle ferrofluid tweeter rebuilds, otherwise you'll be joining an ePay competition for potentially working parts at some time in the future.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A $550 swap eh, as long as you're happy to it that'll be fine.

The 104/2's will give you a "big sound" in comparison to the more polite Calinda's, with better bass** and midrange, but the treble will either be to your taste or a little too bright, even with your Macs.

Let your ears decide Smile .

** Ref 104/2 and others of this ilk sound terrible on laminate floors / loose floorboards, wood block or carpet only please, or mechanically couple to a floor joist.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$550 to replace the tweeters? as far as the surrounds, i was thinking more like $200 to re-foam al four. it's more?

still, it's fine. the bozaks are too big and the KEF's are worth more. so better than cash for the bozaks.

Robby

ColinR wrote:
A $550 swap eh, as long as you're happy to it that'll be fine.

The 104/2's will give you a "big sound" in comparison to the more polite Calinda's, with better bass** and midrange, but the treble will either be to your taste or a little too bright, even with your Macs.

Let your ears decide Smile .

** Ref 104/2 and others of this ilk sound terrible on laminate floors / loose floorboards, wood block or carpet only please, or mechanically couple to a floor joist.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm trading my beloved Bozak 302A Urbans

Bozak 302A Urbans = $550.

Not woofer recones............... Rolling Eyes .
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WISH i could get $550 for them Wink

ColinR wrote:
Quote:
I'm trading my beloved Bozak 302A Urbans

Bozak 302A Urbans = $550.

Not woofer recones............... Rolling Eyes .
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: 104/2 tweeters are shot! :-( Reply with quote

i'm not mad.

the guy was super nice and they were his dad's speakers. i really don't think he knew any better. and i was so hell bent on not hooking them up to my mcintosh tube amps for fear he'd change his mind. he was using an underpowered NAD reciever, so i was sure he'd back out if i hooked the KEFs up to my system where he could compare the bozaks directly to the 104/2.

anyway, Colin, i thought when you said to rebuild the tweeters, that it was one of those "sounds good now, would sound better wiith a rebuild" sort of thing. well, they barely have any output! i'm assuming the reason is be cause the fluid has hardened?

also, i can't see the upper woofer, but the bottom ones have rubber surround. i thought all 104/2 had foam surrounds? well, this is a good thing, more money for the tweeter rebuilds.

honetly, i'm not that mad, the guy was definitely not trying to screw me. th eBozaks are basically worth what someone would pay for them. so, honestly, about $200-$250. i assume the 104/2 with these problems is still worth at least this amount.

is there anything else that would contribute to the tweeter issue? bad crossover caps? or is it normal if the fluid hardens, the output decreses substansially?

thanks,
Robby

ColinR wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: